Soundcard Specs For Laptop

mattus123

Hey guys

so ive definitely confirmed i wanna take production more seriously

i know that in order to do that im either going to need to buy monitors, but also either:

A) buy a new soundcard for my desktop

B) use my laptop as my main production workstation

My laptop is an msi gt780, and its sound specs are:

'2.1 channels speakers, Sound by Dynaudio, THX TruStudio Pro, 7.1ch output'

my question to you guys is, will my laptop be sufficient? (obviously when at home i will have it plugged into monitors, when on hte road i will have it hooked up to headphones because i KNOW that the laptop speakers aren't sufficient), or would i be better off getting a new soundcard for my desktop

i would prefer to use my laptop because then i can make shit while at uni, but obviously if the soundcard isnt good enough i wont be able to

cheers guys

pretty good speccy's, but i reckon ur better off getting yourself an interface bruhz.

instead of using PC soundcards.

ur gunna be running TRS or XLR cables to run ur monitors and i dont think a PC soundcard can support it.

correct me if im wrong.

8O holy shit i know so little, someone is going to need to break this down for me

Im assuming the interface will basically make the soundcard inbuilt into my laptop redundant, as it will be better?

so basically i will plug my laptop into the interface and from there i will plug the studio monitors into the output of the interface? and assuming down the track i buy midi synths (or if i want to do live recordings of my guitar, for example) i will plug these into the interface aswell?

cmhwx.jpg

something like that? ^

would i be able to just buy the monitors and use adapters to hook it up to my laptop directly? or would that diminish sound quality noticeably? keeping in mind i am a big beginner, and i can always purchase an interface down the track.

cheers lads

If your just using headphones then no need for an interface. I don't use my external soundcard when I'm away.

However, I do use an mbox soundcard when I'm at home and using my monitors. Anything work I do using my headphones only will always be checked again with the monitors.

also when using an interface your using shielded TRS/XLR cables = no interference.

audio interface = low latency....less problems.

you can get some really cheap interfaces to start off with if u want man.

whats ur budget?

ahhh ok, cheers guys

my budget can really be anything.. im still living at home and have no other things to save for... obviously i don't wanna have to sell my kidneys to pay for it though

having said that, shelling out that little bit extra will keep me motivated if/when i hit a rough patch :P

would something like

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/FOC-SCARLETT2I2

be good enough, seeing as though im not going to be using it to record?

or maybe

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/NI-KMPA6

and that way i can take advantage of the instruments and effects that come with it?

or do you think for my purposes that will be overkill?