Differences between the Maschine and the Mikro?

djnatdog

MIKRO Q&A

Q: Does MASCHINE MIKRO come with the same software as MASCHINE?

A: Yes, MASCHINE MIKRO uses the exact same software as its bigger brother MASCHINE.

Q: What’s the difference in features between MASCHINE and MASCHINE MIKRO?

A: MASCHINE MIKRO has the same software features as MASCHINE, but comes with a hardware controller with a smaller footprint, with just one display and with less dedicated buttons and knobs to directly control the software parameters. Therefore MASCHINE MIKRO has a different workflow than MASCHINE. MASCHINE MIKRO also doesn’t have physical MIDI in/out ports.

Q: How do I change between the eight groups with MASCHINE MIKRO when there are no dedicated buttons as on MASCHINE?

A: When pressing the “Group” button on the MIKRO controller the top two rows of the 16 pads change from orange to blue. Select the desired group from the 8 blue-lit pads.

Q: Does the MASCHINE MIKRO controller include an audio interface?

A: No. Most computers now come with a built-in audio interface, or people choose to use an external sound card. We decided not to integrate an audio interface to keep the price of MASCHINE MIKRO reasonable.

Q: Can MASCHINE MIKRO record audio?

A: Yes, you can record external sources via your computer's audio interface, plus you can record all internal audio directly in real time. For example, resample a programmed drum loop to a new sound slot and then automatically slice and auto-map it to the pads for further remixing.

Q: Can MASCHINE MIKRO play chords and polyphonic material?

A: Yes, each sound can be played monophonic (with glide) or polyphonic. In Keyboard Mode sounds can then be played chromatically via the hardware pads.

Q: How many samples can MASCHINE MIRKO load at once?

A: MASCHINE MIKRO has 8 groups and each group can contain up to 16 sounds - so each project has up to 128 sounds. As each sound has its own sample mapping possibility, including key and velocity mapping, there is no real limit to the number of samples per instance.

Q: What is the maximum number of patterns in a MASCHINE MIKRO project?

A:There are 4 banks with 16 patterns for each of the 8 groups available, this is adding up to 512 patterns per project. Patterns can be different in lengths, and are accessible in real-time from the hardware using the pads and bank selectors.

Q: Can MASCHINE MIKRO be used without a computer?

A: No, the MASCHINE application runs on the computer and the MASCHINE MIKRO hardware is used to control its functions. The controller is not a self-contained instrument in itself.

Q: Does MASCHINE MIKRO offer plug-in hosting?

A: Yes, both VST and AU plug-ins are supported plus all Komplete 8 instrument presets can be directly loaded from within the MASCHINE MIKRO browser.

Q: How many audio outputs can I use with MASCHINE MIKRO?

A: The software provides 16 stereo outputs. These can be routed within a host sequencer when using MASCHINE MIKRO as a plug-in, or through your audio interface if it has a sufficient number of physical outputs. Every individual sound and group has one "main" bus and two "aux" busses, allowing you to also make efficient use of outboard equipment.

Q: Which file formats can be imported into MASCHINE MIKRO?

A: Currently, AIFF and WAV files can be imported, as well as REX2 files, including their slicing information. Furthermore, MASCHINE MIKRO offers import for MPC* 500/1000/2000(XL)/2500/3000/4000 programs as well as iMASCHINE projects.

Q: Which audio file formats can be exported by MASCHINE MIKRO?

A: You can export WAV and AIFF files in 8, 16 and 24 bit depth.

Q: Can MASCHINE MIKRO import REX files?

A: Yes, import of 64 bit REX files is possible.

Q: Will the MASCHINE software be available for purchase separately?

A: One central idea and advantage of MASCHINE MIKRO is the extremely tight integration of hardware and software. While you can run the MASCHINE software without the controller connected, it was designed as an integrated system. We currently have no plans to offer the software separately.

Q: How do I get my free copy of KOMPLETE ELEMENTS and where is my serial number?

A: If you recently bought MASCHINE MIKRO from a retailer or the NI Online Shop, a KOMPLETE ELEMENTS DVD and serial number is either included in the box, or you will receive an email with the KOMPLETE ELEMENTS download link and your serial number after activating MASCHINE MIKRO. Please make sure you use the latest version of KOMPLETE ELEMENTS to make full use of the MASCHINE 1.7 features.

Q: I already have KOMPLETE 7 or KOMPLETE 7 ELEMENTS installed on my computer. Is there a benefit to installing the new KOMPLETE ELEMENTS version that comes free with MASCHINE MIKRO?

A: Yes. The content of the most recent KOMPLETE ELEMENTS version uses the new NI sound format. This new sound format enables you to browse and load all plug-in presets directly from the MASCHINE MIKRO browser. Please make sure you use the latest version of KOMPLETE ELEMENTS to make full use of the MASCHINE 1.7 features.

MASCHINE Q&A

Q: Can MASCHINE record audio?

A: Yes, you can record all internal audio directly in real time (e.g. sample a programmed drum loop and slice / auto-map it to pads for further remixing), and you can also record and sample external audio from your sound card input.

Q: Can MASCHINE play chords and polyphonic material?

A: Yes, the MASCHINE sequencer supports full polyphonic tracks and arrangements. Each sound can be monophonic (with glide) or polyphonic. In the sequencer, every Sound can be expanded into a Piano Roll view and played chromatically via the hardware pads or with an optional keyboard connected to MASCHINE.

Q: How many samples can MASCHINE load at once?

A: A MASCHINE Project has up to 128 sounds, split across 8 Groups, and each Group can contain up to 16 Sounds. There is no limit to the number of samples per instance, because each MASCHINE Sound has its own sample map, including key and velocity mapping. In traditional terms, this translates to 128 tracks per instance.

Q: What is the maximum number of patterns in a MASCHINE project?

A: Each group can have up to 64 patterns, and each pattern can be of a different length. That means a total of 512 patterns per project. All patterns can be accessed in real-time from the hardware using the pads and bank selectors.

Q: Can MASCHINE be used without a computer?

A: No, the MASCHINE application runs on the computer and the hardware is used to control its functions. The controller is not a self-contained instrument in itself.

Q: Does the MASCHINE sequencer offer plug-in hosting?

A:Yes, from version 1.6, both VST and AU plug-ins are supported. The parameters of the plug-ins are detected automatically by MASCHINE, and with the 'real auto map' function, are directly mapped to the controller knobs.

Q: How many audio outputs can I use with MASCHINE?

A: The MASCHINE software provides 16 stereo outputs. These can be routed within a host sequencer when using MASCHINE as a plug-in, or through your audio interface if it has a sufficient number of physical outputs. Every individual Sound and Group in MASCHINE has one “Main” bus and two “Aux” busses, allowing you to also make efficient use of eventual outboard equipment.

Q: Can I use the MASCHINE sequencer to control other software or hardware instruments?

A: Yes, you can control external hardware as well as other virtual instruments with the MIDI Out feature.

Q: Which file formats can be imported into MASCHINE?

A: Currently, AIFF and WAV files can be imported, as well as REX files including their slicing information. Moreover, MASCHINE offers import for MPC* 500/1000/2000(XL)/2500/3000/4000 programs.

Q: Which file formats can be exported by MASCHINE?

A: You can export WAV and AIFF files in 8, 16 and 24 bit depth.

Q: Can I use the MASCHINE hardware to control other MIDI-compatible equipment?

A: Yes, you can use the MASCHINE hardware as a universal MIDI controller. The included “Controller Editor” application allows you to easily configure the knobs and buttons to control other hardware and software via MIDI and MCU protocol.

Q: Does the MASCHINE controller include an audio interface?

A: No. As most users already own a sound card or want to make their own choice from the wide range of interfaces on the market, we decided not to integrate an audio interface and rather keep the price of MASCHINE as low as possible.

Q: Does MASCHINE replace BATTERY?

A: No. MASCHINE and BATTERY are different tools for different applications. BATTERY is a dedicated percussion sampler with extensive sound shaping and mapping functions for complex drum kits, and does not integrate sequencing. The sample engine in MASCHINE is much more streamlined and focuses on the integration with its sequencer and hardware controller, as well as on real-time audio recording and sound manipulation functions.

Q: Will the MASCHINE software be available for purchase separately?

A: One central idea and advantage of MASCHINE is the extremely tight integration of hardware and software. While you can run the MASCHINE software without the controller connected, it was designed as an integrated system. Therefore, we have currently no plans to offer the software separately.

Q: Can MASCHINE import REX files?

A: Yes, with version 1.6 import of 64 bit REX files is possible.

Q: How do I get my free copy of KOMPLETE ELEMENTS and where is my Serial Number?

A: Existing MASCHINE users received an email announcing the MASCHINE 1.6 update, which also contained the download link for KOMPLETE ELEMENTS and the Serial Number required for activating it in the Service Center.

If you recently bought MASCHINE from a retailer or the NI Online Shop, a KOMPLETE ELEMENTS DVD and Serial Number is either included in the box, or you will receive an email with the KOMPLETE ELEMENTS download link and Serial Number after activating MASCHINE.

Q: I already have KOMPLETE 7 or KOMPLETE 7 ELEMENTS installed on my computer. Is there any benefit to also installing the KOMPLETE ELEMENTS version that comes free with MASCHINE 1.6?

A: No. You already have all the sounds and instruments contained in KOMPLETE ELEMENTS.

And some other questions compiled from the NI forums:

I edited and posted a few Q's answered by the NI team:

Q. Its possible to use the both controllers in the same time? For example, two step sequencers...

Yes, you can use both at the same time - see some answers a little further down for some more info on this.

Q. Besides the obvious lack of the 2nd lcd, and a few buttons and knobs, what is it missing that it's big brother has? I mean is there anything that it can't do that I can with Maschine?

Mikro has the same software features as Maschine, but the controller has a smaller footprint and less dedicated buttons and knobs to directly control the software parameters. Therefore Mikro does have a different workflow. Mikro also doesn't have physical MIDI In/Out ports. There are a couple of changes, you can't edit slice start/end markers or switch pattern banks.

Q. Would it be possible to use Mikro and the Maschine Controller at the same time in a DAW such as Ableton Live? For instance, could i use the Maschine Controller with the Maschine Software, but at the same time play Clips with the Mikro ....... or the other way around?

Yes that is possible - both ways around. Maschine and Maschine Mikro are both compliant with the remote script. Maschine and Maschine Mikro can be dedicated to separate instances or the mentioned combination of one controlling the host either via mackie controls or the Ableton control script.

Q. As a branching out of the "can we use both at the same time" question, I'd like to if NI is planning to sell a "hardware only" version of the Mikro? (ie: exactly like the controller only version of Maschine..)

As with Maschinea, an owner of Maschine Mikro can buy the Maschine Mikro controller as hardware replacement directly from the NI online shop but Maschine Mikro and Maschine are two separate products.

Q. On mikromaschine , can the autowrite be handled by another controller? How vst controls work? does it lose the autowrite?

You can't record automation with Mikro I'm afraid.

Q. What's the difference besides size?

Answered above.

Q. So since there is now a group button does this mean there is also access for up to 32 groups?

The group button allows you to select the 8 groups of Maschine via the top 8 Pads of the Mikro but Maschine is 8 groups, for both Maschine and Maschine Mikro.

Q. will there be an educational version of Mikro as well? software for mikro is exactly the same, ya?

The software is the same, but there are no plans for an Academic version of the Mikro at a discount I'm afraid. The offer on its big brother is still available of course.

Q. Does it also work as a standalone MIDI controller for some DAW or Traktor? Machine does, but it's not mentioned on MIKRO product page

It sure does. Mikro has the Ableton control template and you can edit/add your own customized template that you can make in the controller editor software. We're looking into creating other templates too.

Q. Why did you get rid of the midi in and out ports?

It was a trade-off we had to make to be able to deliver the Mikro at the lowest possible price.

Size Comparison: