Pioneer’s DDJ-SB: Serato Intro Controller

yizzle

LDD1dxN.jpg?1

Pioneer is cracking open an even lower price point than their multi-color DDJ-WeGO launched last year with this new Serato DJ Intro controller that’s designed to look and feel similar to the DDJ-SX and DDJ-SR controllers that have been increasingly popular over the last year. The new DDJ-SB starts out with a MSRP of $299, and sports two large Pioneer jogwheels, 16 performance pads, and basic FX, tempo and mixer controls.

From a size perspective, the unit is significantly lighter (at 2.1 kg/4.6 lbs, it’s about half the weight of the DDJ-SR) and smaller in dimensions than the other controllers in the DDJ-S line. Here’s the full hardware featureset:

• USB powered

• Combo HP/LP filter for each channel.

• Hot Cue, Auto Loop, Manual Loop and Sampler modes

• Dedicated Serato software FX Control

• Single Mic Input (1/4” jack)

• Master RCA output

• Both 1/4” and 1/8” mini jack headphone outs

• High resolution, touch sensitive jog wheels

KgUPiG1.jpg?1

There’s only one new feature on the DDJ-SB that we haven’t seen on any other Pioneer unit before, called “Filter Fade” – similar to the Fader FX of DJTT’s VCI-100 mappings long ago. Pioneer details the Filter Fade feature:

"For extremely smooth blending transitions when using the cross-fader, a new “Filter Fade” function can be turned on (via a button in the center of the mixer) even with music that has vastly different styles. The high-pass filter of the left and right decks is linked with the actions of the cross-fader, and the deck’s volume output automatically adjusts while applying the bass filter, resulting in natural sounding mix effect."

The DDJ-SB will be out in January 2014 with a suggested price point of $299, including a license for Serato DJ Intro.

Source: djtechtools.com

• 1 month later...
Yeah I'll be getting this as my first controller, it seems to be a great tool for a beginner while still giving a wide range of things to use.

DONT DO IT.....The price for the sb is $800 + another $200 for the upgrade to serato dj from serato intro

get a ddj sx is only another 200 more for a way,way better midi controller

It's a cool intro controller. I was looking at it just to take on the road with me but I've opted for something else.

As for it having no gain / trim knobs, it's got a normalising system built in so you don't need to worry about mismatched gains. It's a beginners / basic controller so it carries the basic features to get started