Best Practises for using Cue Points in Pioneer Rekordbox/CDJ

Jpthegeezer

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling to come up with a practical guide for assigning cue points for use with Rekordbox for preparing tracks to play with CDJ's.

I come from a Traktor background where we have the luxury of up to 8 cue points to use, this gave me many options with my tracks and while there never was a need to use all 8 cue points it meant I could essentially remix a track on the fly by hitting each cue point.

Over time I reduced the cue points down to 4 for a track breaking them down to the following:

1. Preset by Traktor to land on the 1st downbeat (there were times where Traktor would stuff this up but probably once every 100 tracks);

2. Point to mark where the mix in to the track would be complete (when mixing I would normally loop the 8 bars previous to this cue point and gradually bring the track in until the track hit the cue point at which the transition would be complete);

3. Point to mark the breakdown to either mix out or just a visual guide to show me when the breakdown was coming;

4. Point to mark where the mix out of the track would begin.

Now that I am slave to Pioneer I only have 3 cue points to set and so I am a little stuck as to how I now set my cue points with a system for to use for each track.

I believe that there is a natural cue point set at the beginning of the song so there would be no need for me to burn one of the 3 available cue points, am I right in this assumption? If correct it would mean that I could essentially use the same method I did with Traktor, it would simply be a matter of:

Traktor Cue Point 1 = "Natural Cue Point set in Rekordbox"

Traktor Cue Point 2 = Rekordbox Cue Point 1

Traktor Cue Point 3 = Rekordbox Cue Point 2

Traktor Cue Point 4 = Rekordbox Cue Point 3

Also, since I am in the process "rebuilding" my music library I have a blank canvas for setting these cue points and would love to know what you guys do with your cue points and if you follow a similar grading like I do? If there is a better method I would love to use it.

Thanks guys I look forward to seeing your methods.

Cheers,

GEEZ3R.

what gear are u using? rekordbox allows 10 preset cues. 3 hot cues on 2000's but 10 presets either way

i normally use 5 or 6

1st beat

start of mix in

end of mix in phase

breakdown where necessary

point of mix out

point where mixout should be completed

then set hot cues for interesting points in the track

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply, I just got some CDJ 2000 nexus that I plan to use with Rekordbox.

When I read about the 10 memory banks it sounded like those slots couldn't be fired off while the track was already playing, that's why I thought they'd be no use for me since I would need to be able to use them mid track. Or am I way off in my understanding there?

yeah you are referring to the hot cues not the cue bank

cue bank will allow you to quickly scroll through important bits in the song before playing it. that way you can preview drops and anticipate further the specific direction of the mix.

cue bank if used effectively will allow you to go straight to first beat and then have major markers setup throughout song.

in terms of hot cues though, 3 is it. i normally set 2 as interesting things (normally vocal and a breakdown) and 3rd as a repeating loop incase of trouble

So are the cue bank slots really just used to scroll thru the song but not really used like a hot cue?

And the hot cues are used to fire off mid track to change how a track sounds but obviously used sparingly due to the limited amount (3) to set?

Is that right?

yes.

for a man who has 2000's this should be ez stuff

Sorry mate I only just bought them last week and haven't had the chance to play with them. Had a Traktor Kontrol S2 before that so this is a big step up for me.

evidently haha, nah it will be all g

seriously just spend two days locked in a room straight mixing until you have no music left. best way to break in new gear