got the basicsl, what gear is next?

jaiman

hey guys,

Been DJ'ing for about 2 years now but nothing serious just parties.

I have recently been playing in Melb CBD and now I think its time i got serious about it.

Basics I have now are

CDJ1000 MKIII (i want CDJ900s for the USB function soon)

DJM800

Sennheiser HD25 II headphones

all for home and practice use and need to buy some monitors soon too.

What are the best programs to record a mix with?

so far i have Audacity, but more to the point, best way to connect it to my laptop? just an aux cord will suffice?

also have started using Rekordbox, is this a suitable enough program to use when putting songs on USB and getting info on the song?

Thanks in advance for comments

RCA plugged into the rec out on the mixer, connecting to aux input on computer is fine for recording mixes. Audacity is also fine to use.

Rekordbox is the current standard for prepping tracks to put on USB for playing out. Very handy.

If you're looking for a program to help with track organisation, have a look at mixed in key. It detects the tempo and key of a track and saves it into the track info, which is handy for creating harmonically pleasing sets. http://www.mixedinkey.com/

the only problem i have with mixed in key, is i have installed it on 3 different computers, in 3 different houses... all with very good internet, yet mixed in key always seems to come up with "needs an internet connection"... so i gave up on that

thanks for the feedback