Product Review - M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro

Cupe

f4xDzsx.jpg

If you're like me, maybe you found yourself feeling a bit dismissive about the launch of a new Trigger Finger. Although the original was hugely successful, you may be forgiven for thinking it's had its day in the age of Maschine and next-generation MPCs. Spoiler alert: it turns out my preconceptions about the Trigger Finger Pro were way off the mark.

In one way, the Trigger Finger Pro stays true to its predecessor: it's designed to be a fully programmable MIDI controller that can be used with just about any virtual instrument, DAW or hardware synth. It features 16 pads, four faders and some knobs. The similarities pretty much end there. The Pro is larger, better made, lights up like a Christmas tree, and integrates with its own plug-in host and sound sources. These last make it a true hybrid instrument as well as a controller.

But the secret weapon that makes the Trigger Finger Pro a player is its built-in hardware step sequencer. This provides up to 64 lanes by 64 steps, programmed from a row of 16 buttons along the bottom of the unit. You can also record patterns into the step sequencer live from the pads.

First Impressions

Physically, the Trigger Finger Pro has more in common with modern beat controllers like Maschine or Push than its smaller predecessor, being about 1cm larger than the standard-issue Maschine model. It's slim and flat, rather than the now-standard wedge shape, instead having a metal bar attached to lift it at the back into a comfortable playing position. This bar can be removed (with the hex tool included, Ikea-style) or attached to the front if you prefer, and allows you to hook the unit onto laptop stands or other kit.

M-Audio Trigger Finger ProThe obligatory 4x4 pads are made of solid rubber and light up internally in a variety of colours. I found them just as nice to play as the Maschine or MPC pads. Dynamic sensitivity is not bad (especially if you switch the velocity curve to Linear) and the pressure-sensitive aftertouch is really smooth: great for synths or for adding dynamic variation when using the Roll button (better known as Note Repeat on other devices). Other buttons on the surface are of the hard-plastic clicky type of which I'm not a big fan, but which are also seen on competing devices. The control section sports four rows of buttons, faders and rotary encoders, similar to the original. I'm sceptical about faders on MIDI controllers unless they are motorised or touch strips; I'd much rather have another four encoders, as eight is a standard for many plug-ins and Ableton Live rack devices, and encoders offer glitch-free pick-up of existing values. Overall, the build quality is solid, and the Pro feels in a different class of product to the original Trigger Finger. Perhaps there has been some cross-pollination from Akai since M-Audio joined the InMusic group?

Source: soundonsound.com