Mixing at home without monitor speakers...

SourceRaver

OK…

So you want to have a mix but don’t want to wake your neighbors’. How do you monitor your mix without hearing the music through some speakers?

Here’s a simple solution for those of you who normally mix with one cup of your headphones:

1) Find a pair of in-ear headphones (not too tight like those that come with an Ipod) and connect these to your headphone output on your mixer.

2) Put one of these in your preferred mixing ear and use it like you would with your DJ headphones to cue the song etc.

3) Plug your regular cans into the headphones socket of another device connected to your mixer (i.e. tape deck, stereo amp, sound card etc) and put these over both your ears. These now act as your monitor speakers. You can now mix in silence but will need to toggle the cue button on/off on the incoming track to compare the beat of the incoming track.

Why not just ‘mix in your cans’ (i.e. both tracks in both cups)?

Well I like to compare the incoming beat in one ear with the reference beat in the other. This may not be your preferred method and the above may not work for you. I also think the above method is also more like a real life scenario say if you were playing in a club.

Cheers!

swapping between cueing and master works for me, but I do get the occaisonal mix where I play back and found I got confused (was listening to master when I thought it was cue) and you can hear me cueing tracks.

works ok when you can't make noise but not as much fun.