Nub looking 2 buy a setup

Shinta

Hi,

So Ive decided I want to start DJ'ing (big surprise huh). After reading and watching vids on youtube it looks like I want to go with:

Pioneer DJM-400 Mixer x1

Pioneer CDJ-400 x2

I was also looking at

Pioneeer CDJ800mk2 x2

Behringer DJX750

but didnt know if it was any decent ay?

So first qu. Setup 1 or 2?

The next thing I was thinking of getting is just a small speaker or 2 (probs monitor) to practice with. Was thinking of something like Behringer MS-20 Powered Speakers.

2nd qu. What small speakers do you think I should get just to practice with?

Lastly looking for some headphones. Bit confused when it comes to these. Whats good, whats bad? What are "crap" etc?

Was looking @ one of the following but open to suggestions.

1. Skull Candy Skullcrushers

2. Skull Candy GI

3. Skull Candy Hesh

4. Skull Candy Lowrider

3rd qu. What type of headphones to get?

Also where is some good places to buy/get music? Someone I know recommended beatport.com? Had a look and looked pretty decent.

Lastly...genres. I see a lot of different genre's like Progressive House, House, Tech House, Electro House etc... How do you tell what is what other than reading the info? Would you get killed if you played Genre X with Genre Y or Genre Z at location A?

BTW what does SSL stand for? To me it means Secure Socket Layer but doubt that is what it is referring 2. :oops:

Ty for any constructive replies

Dont get skull candy headphones, they're gimmicky peices of crap, take a look at some seinheissers or sony headphones. As far as music is concerned, play what you wanna play, your not gonna be getting gigs for a while so you may as well practice with music you like.

SSL = Serato Scratch Live :)

Set up 1 (Behringer mixer wont hold its value if you decide to sell)

Any kind of speaker is fine as a monitor as long as it has reasonable sound reproduction (ie not computer speakers). Maybe you already have a home stereo sytem?

Skull Candy = No! (What CC said)

Beatport = Yes! (Huge range of tunes @ reasonable prices) The 400s are well suited to MP3 playback

Listen to the different genres on Beatport. Chances are you'll identify the one you really like but have never been able to define.

Mixing genre X with genre Y = Why not! Do it well and it will be the basis of your career. Some genres go really well togeather and others dont. You'll be able to work it out as you go along, thats the fun part!

Progressive - Slowly progressive melody, more lower freq and minor keys, slower tempo.

House - Natural intruments like trumpet piano etc.

Electro - Synthetic instruments.

^very basic breakdown.

You'll learn it soon enough mate and there is no set rules on what genre a song is. You'll quickly find that no DJ particularly cares to much