One more for fun.. Green lantern - #31 [scratch mix]

djexecute

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Haha, thanks crundyy and pulse... I really don't think I'm very good hey.. but I guess it's always a case when you watch other vids, you're like 'fuk if only I could make it sound like that'... which is what i'm constantly chasing.

But seriously cheers for the comments, it's always good to hear from others cos sometimes when you're self-judging it's hard to appreciate your own work ;)

I'll try and make another mix sometime, (with cam so crundyy and anyone else can get some tips) but just on some quick tips, crundyy I suppose are: I prefer hamster style, mainly because i've grown up with doing it that way by studying Q and the like, but also because I believe you have more flexibility, personally I move quicker cutting the sound off whith my fingers rather than with my thumb which I think would be a result of doing it standard style (also have your X-fade curve to 0 or 10%)...

tip 2, I tried to discipline myself to practice each individual scratch technique first and try to get it down really well before starting to combo (check out youtube for qbert DIY scratching vids or other videos on particular -individual- techniques first), because obviously if say, you know 3 scratch moves, but all three are half assed, the whole thing wont' sound good, even though you think you're being real tricky; but if you can cut or stab perfectly in time, even though it's just one technique, but then SLOWLY drop in some drags here and there and flares etc you'll slowly build up your arsenal and you'll find your technique can evolve beautifully.

The only other tip i can think of right now is really listening to your backbeat; not focusing on "what you are doing" or concentrating on it too technically (again this is why it's good to know a particular scratch technique like the back of your hand so it comes naturally) which leaves room for you to just "feel the music" -- just moving both your hands with it in time works a treat. I find when I let my fingers move "to" the sound and just go naturally, rather than "hearing" the sound and trying to rigidly focus on the technical, I get much better results, and you will find you end up in beat.

Take it ez.

PS: I use the numark ns7 hardware as shown in other pics on here to put together my stuff, but of course vinyl is the weapon of choice ideally, or any emulation such as SSL, Traktor etc, try and scratch on something that has the capabilities to do so well, or you'll never get great results.

Cya

• 3 months later...