Rent a Komplete Kontrol S49 mk2 in Sydney?

azaram

Not sure if I posted this in the right forum.. I'm new here and couldn't figure out if a MIDI keyboard is a "controller".

Anyway, I'm want to dip my toe into music production just as a hobby and need a keyboard to get started.
Doing a quick search, there are heaps of cheap keyboards that would be OK as a basic way to start, but I came across a video demoing the Komplete Kontrol S49 mk2 and it looks awesome. The workflows with the dual screens and deep Ableton Live integration look like they will make it easy and fun.

I can quickly lose interest if I don't have the right tools to start, so was thinking it would be better to start on the S49 mk2, but I don't have the budget to just outright buy it.

So I was wondering if there's anywhere in Sydney that would rent one out so I can figure out if it's for me before going all in.

Alternately, if there's anyone on here that has one that they're not actively using and willing to loan it, that would be even better and we could figure out a way to make sure I'm not scamming you and trying to steal your keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 8:46 PM, Cupe said:

Most DJ equipment stores have DJ rentals too. DJ Warehouse, Store DJ etc

Thanks. Yeah after I posted this I found out about Studio 19 and also saw a sign for them when I was at StoreDJ.

Is this what you were referring to?

It's a pity that it's for a minimum of 6 months, but I get it that as their business model relies on you buying a new one, they can't do much about that (as opposed to an actual rental company that owns their stock and can rent the same item short term to numerous different customers).

At StoreDJ's listed price of $1059, it'd be $312 to rent the S49 for 6 months.. I guess not terrible, I'd probably only need a few weeks to figure out if it's for me and I'd rather not pay more than $100ish to try it out before buying. I guess I can't have everything :P

That said, I've been down to StoreDJ twice now to have a look around and also got a more in-depth demo and how it integrates with Ableton and the Komplete software. I think it's probably what I want, so I'm looking to buy one. Maybe second-hand, but also seen an eBay deal for $809 and free shipping for new ones.