platform hip hop thang @ redfern

eggssell

im sure i mentioned it somewhere (my standard opening). anywhos this thing is happening at the carriageworks for all the sydney folk.

one of the main parts is this sat with all the different dance comps.

ill prob hit to see DJ ASK. former tour dj with sound unlimited posse and full time dj with renegade funktrain, as well as producing a hand full of tracks. but most well known for being australia's dmc champ for a few years. didnt they make him quit cuz he kept winning ha ha. im sure the urban legend was he stage dove over his decks to end one of his sets.

plus just waiting to hear if a dude i know is gonna be competing in the dance comps.

deets

http://www.platformhiphop.com.au/?page= ... -Technique

anyone who says hip hop is dead is smoking crack.

ive been down with the scene since 83, and remember when it hit bigg in 85 they said it was a fad that was gonna die. they were wrong. cuz this shiz is bigger and better than it ever was. almost 30 yrs strong!!

today had all four elements in effect. bboying (all types popping, locking, breaking); graf; djing; & mcing. and even the often forgotten cousin (or fifth element) beatboxing.

in fact the beatboxing was off the hook. the eventual winner (a dude named genesis) was on fire doing dubstep to hardstyle and just straight up awesome. had people rocking and moshing (see below). and then to hook up w/ another beatboxer and make a track on the spot (each doing about 3 elements at one time i.e. bass, kicks, snares, hats, scratches, vocal drops, synths, key, horns etc) while 2 mc's freestyling over the top just killed.

and the dancing, damn was it on point. the gold coast massive were wild moshing, stomping and getting right down and dirty. one of their crews took it in the end. and while the daytime was for the next gen, there was this one kid id seen all day from the qld crew (I think?) who was so good that i wondered why he wasnt in the next gen event cuz he could wipe the floor with all of em, it was because he was in the adult event!! he had to be less than 12!! and he rocked all styles including the harder power moves and freezes and wild flips.

And anyone who says using hot cues and loop buttons aren’t making things easier, needs to check out a dj using doubles of one track and remixing on the spot to make a tune, and not just wickity wickity, an actual tune so people can dance. dj mathematic was killing it. ripping out some old school funk and disco and just cutting them up and extending breaks or drumming beats for the crews to rock out too.

And if shit wasn’t already great, resin dogs (if you don’t know google them, they are one of oztralias finest) were meant to play a couple tracks between the semis and finals of the breaks comp. but then they decided to get them to play the beats for the final!!!!!

What I saw today didn’t make me just feel good about hip hop but feel great about music. in the words of bigg treach I live and die for hip, this is hip hop for today. I give props to hip hop so hip hop hooray….

:yahoo:

while this isnt as good as his finals performance which no one has uploaded yet, here is some vid of that betboxer genesis. my mate filmed it so maybe ill upload it myself after i see him.

and just remember he isnt looping anything so while he is doing bass he is maintaining kicks and snares, and then chucks in vocals.

here is the best trick finale which was a fan voted comp. watch the second guy at 1.04. not only does he do a full 360 while doing an aerial, in between at about 1.10 he starts clapping and then he ends it on the elbow. he was easily one of the best on the day and took out this comp.

this also shows the youngin i was talking about but this wasnt even his best routine. there is one where he goes from windmill, to aerial flare to headspin. hopefully it gets upped soon