RichoKidd Scratch

RichoKidd

so as a total vinyl/sctratching noob, you're playing the normal track "A Tribe Called Quest (ft Faith Evens) - Stressed Out" on one turntable, then using a battle/scratch record on the other tt for the scratching?

ps nice shoutout!

yes blood!

not bad at all for a months worth of trying.

good to see the dex the right way round and the stickers applied to the vinyl so you can clearly see whereabouts in the 360 degrees of rotation you are. Also nice to see your hand is trying to stay in about the same place on the vinyl (at 9 oclock if it were a clock).

if i may offer a tip or two:

1) get that mixer fixed down, having it moving around aint helping you. maybe blu tack underneath or something wedging it from behind so it cant move around.

2) you're right handed yeah? This may sound weird but try the same scratches with the records swapped over so your left hand is on the scratch sample vinyl. You may find it hard at first but most DJs find that for transforms/chirps etc that use the cross fader a lot you want your best hand on the fader and your less strong hand on the deck.

...obviously you want to be a master and with practise and in time you will become truly ambidextrous but for now play to your strengths. best hand on the fader for fader techniques, best hand on the vinyl for babies.

Or get a mixer with a hamster switch but that's all sorcery and witchcraft to me.

of course feel free to tell me to f**k off if i aint needed bro.

Jim man,

I appreciate the advise. I'll have to give it a shot. Yeah that mixer was givin me the shits ey. Probably gonna get something to keep it down, looking at getting a better scratch one too. I need to learn the different types of scratches. It's a lot harder then I first thought ey.

But cheers

Mate you doing very well for only one months of trying.

it's all about practice but if you arent self-disciplined type dont beat yourself up.

I used to put a tune on, do maybe 16 bars serious technique practice (chirps, tips, scribbles, tears, transforms) then relax by doing 16 bars of just totally messin about (this relaxes the mind and finger muscles and you may discover something you do naturally which you didnt know about before) then back to 16 bars serious practice.

I would also start with an instrumental on one deck, scratch sounds on the other but as the instrumental neared the end I would take of the scratch record and line up a mix to a dif instrumental on the other deck. Once the mix is done i would put the scratch record back on the other deck, this way you practice both hands/all techniques, plus still practise mixing, plus your music flows better for your own sake.

glad someone still flying the flag mate.