Hey guys

DJsYnx

HI i'm Drew (or eventuallyto be called DJsYnx when i'm good enough to have a DJ name lol), I've only recently gotten into djing about two months ago. I've had a bit of experience in playing with music (remixing and audio engineering type stuff) but have only just started doing live djing.

I had my first 'gig' last friday night at my mates 18th, so i thought it's time to join a forum to brag about my crappy performance lol (really to get some tips). I 'spin' mainly House (Ministry of Sound is my main source) as I want to eventually play at clubs and thats what the best local club plays. Though i really like Breaks and would like to 'spin' that as well though i don't know of any places to get some good break's music. All i've got is some Crystal Method (the divided by night album and some other random tracks).

Drew.

welcome dude, breaks can be hard to find if ya looking to get them from blogs but what you can do, (and i didnt say this) is go to a download site like beatport, find the tracks you like then search the track name in google 90% of the time youll get a hit, not that i would kknow tho...;P

Hey guys,

Thanks heaps for the quick replies. I looked on beatport and found some sweet tracks when i first heard of it, I'll have to get the names of the tracks and download a bit of stuff.

I'm thinking now that i've got a 130-150 song set of house music (deep, electro etc) i thought i may be ready at looking at playing at a club with a bit of practice. What should I be practicing and what should I be good at in being able to play at a club ( i made about three mistakes in my 3 hour set at my mates party). Also i'm going to the club i want to play at in a few nights, should i make a promo cd (is it legal?) or something to give to them?

Thanks guys,

Drew.

yep make a promo, i thinhk to work in a club ennvironment you have to be able to read the crowd a bit, unless its a club where you know exactly what sorta tracks they will like

three mistakes is no issue at all infact when im not too drunk and listening to a set in a club i pick up mistakes all night long its just about keeping the pace of the club going

Thanks guys,

I'll practise my transitions and what not and make a promo as soon as i can.

Should the promo just be pretty much a one hour set or something or should it be lots of transitions and lots of songs leaving each song about a minute to 30 secs long (I've never made a promo cd so i don't really know what to do lol)

Thanks, Drew.

just make a copy of what you would play, only about 30 mins give or take 5-10 mins, think of what sort of music they have in their club and go with what will keep people dancing and drinking.

it's unfortunate that this is what you need to do if you want to have residency, but i know alot of dj's that play one thing for the crowd and another for the public

bruz make a promo of what u would play when you r in the club your dropin off the mix too. The best thing i can recomend to get in the "zone" is have a drink and gee yaself up that way you can get pretty creative not that alcoholism is the key.

On a side note you can smash through song after song but then again it depends on the venue and your prefred style of playing

Cheers guys, I'm waiting on some new gear atm but as soon as it arrives I'll make a promo of exactly what i would play if i were in the club playing and give them that and hope that something comes out of it.

Thanks, Drew.