mic inputs on old school cassette players

eggssell

hey prob only for the seniors on the forum, and by senior i dont mean in heirarchy. or maybe some of you more electronic savvy cats.

but does anyone know if the mic inputs on the old 80's portable cassette players are just nomal line ins, and then hence can take a line-in using your normal 3.5mm jacks?

i remember some of the best players even had phono inputs, but im thinking more so the lower models which just had mic input. so you could rap over the cassette playing; or sing to your OPM karaoke tapes (por the pilos).

hey eggs,

from what I rememebr they were 3.5 or 1/4" jack inputs so you can use any wire as long as you have the right adaptor.

But i dont think they were line level, they normally had a little mic preamp to boost mic signals.

If you put a walkman or other line level device in it would be distorted and loud... Mic level is not line level as Mic always needs a boost.

and who you calling senior?

...walks away on zimmer frame whinging...

yer: someone correct me if I'm wrong but there are 3 basic inputs that a DJ will come across that all have differing levels so require different pre-amps.

these are

1) phono i.e. turntable: stylus cant generate much noise so needs a boost (sometimes done digitally on modern turntables so these are line level tho)

2) mic i.e. mic. It's your voice against a diaphragm so again requires a boost.

3) line level: i.e. cdplayers, t.v. all the inputs called "aux" on your hifi, ipod, etc etc. These are the loudest and need the smallest boost but still require a pre amp. Mostly digital these days but tape players are line level too.

unfortunately the amounts of boost each dif input requires are too different to let you plug an ipod in a mic socket just to make it louder. it will be too loud and just distort.