Serato or not?

Dragon

Hey guys,

I've decided to get back into mixing after a two year absence. My setup were 2 1210 mk 5g's with a cdj1000 and an Allen and Heath x92. I sold all this and now two years later I'm feeling a tad lost on what setup. Predominantly i'm back to the bedroom before I hope to get out and get some gigs. I am tossing up between some cdj's or not sure if I should go for a pioneer ddj setup? I'm playing with the idea of a new mac if I do go totally digital. Would you go totally digital dor haver the backup dof cdj's?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dragon

What gigs are you aiming to try and get?

If your aiming to get into clubs and bars, Pioneer CDJs are the way to go, as this is what you will be using at essentially every place you play out.

If your aim is to do mobile gigs (house parties, private functions etc.) it's totally up to you. A fully digital system is less to set up and pack up, and it is much lighter to carry, and easier to deal with requests as you have a keyboard to easily search through a large collection of music on a laptop.

Also, what's your budget?

Hey Mitch,

Well budget is not a huge issue. In terms of gigs it's a tricky one up here in hedland. My background is not commercial stuff, but this town may need that to start with. If I went totally digital I'd need a new mac. The pioneer ddj stuff looks pretty good but I'm so used to vinyl. I reckon I'll have to have a test when I'm in Perth!

I'm no expert on the high end controllers, but there is alot of people are saying there is other controllers out there that offer better bang for your buck. Capfive gives a bit of a run down on some of the high end controllers in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7247

He doesn't review the Traktor S4 or Numark NS6 though, which are also definately worth considering. All very capable pieces of equipment in the right hands.

So for a decent controller your looking at about 1000-1500 (rough figures)

New mac - 1500-2000 depending on what you get

So that = anywhere between 2500-3500 for a new digital setup with new laptop.

For that price your in ballpark for a very decent full CDJ set.. e.g. http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/specials/ ... jm700.html

Or if you are looking at investing back in TTs, you could either try pick up used Techies, or Stanton St150s i've heard are also a top notch deck.

The world is at your feet man, just gotta decide how much $$ you want to spend, and what type of setup you want to invest in :)

So its all up to deciding ultimately what you want to mix, where you want to take your mixing, and obviously what your comfortable using. Definitely go to a DJ shop and try everything out to see what you like before deciding to invest your $$ into some equipment.

Good luck man :)