Interviewing DJ's

Cupe

If you were to read an interview with your favourite DJ, what would be the questions you'd want a reporter to ask them?

If you were to be interviewed as a DJ, what would you like to be asked?

Try to keep to a general theme :P these questions could be included in the next ADJF artist interview..

dude.... i thought my reply was good.

ummm... questions. i know iDJ mag has a short questionaire intervew for famous DJs. i'll try and remember them.

How did you start DJing?

Can you remember your first gig?

What has been your best experience as a DJ?

What has been your worst experience as a DJ?

What are you working on at the moment?

I write for a street press in QLD called Tsunami and i've only just graduated from doing cd reviews to writing articles and doing interviews. I've done 3 interviews so far, the first with Plump DJs, then Nightmares on Wax and Booka Shade. Each was an entirely different experience and vibe. Anyway, i thought id post the questions i asked George evelyn aka Nightmares on Wax as well as the article that came from the interview....

The advice that i've been given about interviewing artists is to make it more like a conversation rather than firing off questions at them. So i write about 10 questions and often vibe off the answer to the previous question. I've found that time constants mean that you only get to ask half your questions, but its interesting to see where the interview ends up and alway a laugh talking to someone that you've been listening to for years.

Nightmares on Wax Interview

1. Can you tell us a little bit about how you recorded the new album and why you decided to take that approach?.... I heard you did a similar thing for In a Space Outta Sound, do you want to keep it going? Where next? Australia?

2. The gap between the last 2 albums has been relatively short compared to previous years. Are you finding yourself in a space where ideas are coming more easily than in the past?

3. When you were recording ‘Thought So..’ how much did the surrounding and the environment affect what you were working on?

4. How do you work with your vocalists? Do you write something around their lyrics or vice versa?

5. Ricky Ranking works on some diverse projects, but hearing him on a Nightmares on Wax album it almost sounds like his style is tailor made for the sound, was it an obvious descision to get him back on the new album?

6. I heard about you an Ricky writing Flip ya Lid after your encounter with the riot police, did any of the lyrics come from anything that happened on the road trip?

7. Did you have a fairly complete picture of the songs before you headed out with the band?

8. Coming from writing tunes like Aftermath all those years ago, do you still keep an ear out for whats happening in the house and techno clubs these days?

9. What piece of equipment could you not do without in the studio?

10. Upcoming release on your record label?

11. You guys came out to Australia a couple of years ago, are you heading back anytime soon to tour the new album?

Nightmares on Wax

So you've been clued on to the sounds of George Evelyn and his seminal Nightmares on Wax project for years now, you've already got your hands on a copy of his new album 'Thought so…', and of course, your loving every soulful downbeat moment of bliss it contains, but what's really got you thinking is "What the hell is written in that black book?" MK ULTRA investigates.

George lets out a bellow of laughter as I quiz him on the interlude between songs on the album where a rather cryptic dialogue between him and a band member takes place about a mysterious message scribbled into a black book he's just received. He gives in, and in his thick Northern English accent he tells me "Right, I'll tell you what I'll do for you, give me one minute and I'll go grab it". The suspense builds. "Now the only reason I'm going to read this to you is because you're the first journalist to bother asking me about it". So lucky Tsunami reader, the mystery is revealed.

George recites a poem about a traveler embarking on a journey which brings him incredible enlightenment and creative liberty. When put into context of how "Thought so…" was produced, it quickly becomes apparent how appropriate the piece of prose is. Instead of shipping his studio equipment from Leeds to his new home in Ibiza, George loaded up a couple of camper vans full gear and recorded the album on a road trip that took him and the band over the French Pyrenees and through the Sierra Navada desert, stopping at ancient ruins and flying session vocalist in as they went. After arriving at the now Ibiza based Wax On Studios, George filtered the results of the journey, adding his trademark beats and went about piecing together the album with a level of polished production that even out does the previous NOW release 'In a Space Outta Sound".

"I've spent my entire career talking about 'the journey' and all of a sudden we're writing this album doing exactly that, on a journey." George describes the creative process of writing the album as something that was as free and spontaneous as the road trip itself. "I thought it would stop the flow if I had a preconceived idea of any tracks before we left, this way its going to feel more natural and you can't deny that when you hear music. We'd be driving through some mountains, knocking a beat together and all of a sudden it all comes together and the vibe is there, then at that point the clouds parted over these mountains and the sun shone and everyone in the camper went 'whoa!' ".

The ever versatile Ricky Ranking is back again on "Thought So..", moving effortlessly between the menacing Dub Step of The Bug, to the summery vibes of NOW and embarking on an experience like the road trip. "Ricky was sitting in the passenger seat of the camper, he's got the microphone in his hand and he's just singing about everything unfolding in front of him. We were in the back of the back of the camper and I'm thinking, wow, this is taking it another step further because now not only we've created this scenario about what we wanted to do, now we can relay it in the record about what's actually happening in front of us."

'Thought so…' is out now through Warp/Inertia just in time for lazy summer Sunday afternoons.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few:

So how did it all begin?

Where did the name come from?

What gave you that initial push?

Did the Djing, Production, Promoting come 1st?

Who’s throwing the best parties at the moment?

Which other countries have you played/put parties on?

What was the first event you ever played at/put on?

What’s the best event you’ve played at/put on?

What was your first record you bought?

Out of all the tunes you have, which one ‘never fails?’

What's you favourite tune of all time?

When all the partying is over how do you like to chill out?

So how is the scene in your eyes at the moment?

What's is your real name if you use an alias and how old are you?

Where do you live?

What can you remember of playing/being at your first live set?

How big is your vinyl collection? What do you think of CDJ's?

Funniest thing that ever happened at an event?

Other DJs you rate?

What are your feelings on the MC's?

What do you do outside of the dance music scene?

What advice would you give to up and coming DJs/Promoters?

When you play is this pre planned set?

When was the 1st time you visited Ibiza? Was it to holiday or to play?