Dj controller

deej

Hi,

I am doing a school project where i have to design and build a Dj MIDI controller.

Can i have some ideas on what i should Include in the design, and some ideas on how to possibly build one.

i have had a browse around and have found a couple of good website on how to design and build certain types,

but i want mine to be different and my own, if you know what i mean.

Cheers

Deej

Have a look at some of the dj controllers you can buy as well as cdj's and turntables.

At the very least you need a play button, tempo slider and either a jog wheel or pitch bend buttons.

I recommend arduino as well. Have a look at this page ---> http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Midi/

And consider buying one of these ---> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Interfac ... 536wt_1401

This way you can focus on designing the controller and less about getting the pc to recognize the midi.

from what i have heard, jog wheels are quite had to put into a project

I have a controller already (numark Mixtrak pro), which has two decks so i kind of want to make something that has different functions to what i already have

The tilt triggers sound like an awesome idea. The point of my project is to design it from scratch. Although a ps3 contoller sounds cool I don't think I can do that.

I actually have to write a manual as part of the process so that others could use it and make there own.

I think that from what i have heard, Arduino is the best option for me to program it with.

The massive stomp pads sound good, but I think if I put them into the design they might have to be small stomp pads.

Cheers for all the ideas. Keep them coming

I was just wondering, from SourceRaver's idea of the ps3 controller, do you think that two joy stick would work as a mini jog wheel? i already have jog wheels on my mixtrack, but i thought it might be cool to put something into my design that is simple to use and just there incase.

My idea so far is to make a beat grid or synth pad or what ever you want to call them ( like the Midi fighter), some pitch benders, a couple of fx knobs, etc

cheers

Any dj software that has midi learn Can be set up with the livid v2 brain ...so yes to Traktor

You and the school dont have to make thing as bad ass as that thing ...But with the brain v2 ,you can just keep adding to it (more buttons ,knobs & faders ) by just add more boards to the brain v2

It's midi over USB but its also midi in & out over The old 6 pin mid plug ,can run on 6 v power

I was just wondering, in my design i want a put a logo that lights up when i turn it on.

Do you know if there is anyway to do this on the livid brain?

I would be awesome if i can do it.

My designs are starting to look good now, and hopefully i will be ordering parts soon as well. when i desing the face plate on the computer i will post it up. this might be a while

cheers for all the feed back so far.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just thoiught i should let everyone know that i have almost finished my project.

I am just waiting on the top peice for the box, then i should be finished.

I am unsure on how to post pictures ( i will try any way), but i will be writing a blog for instructions if anyone wants to have a look at it.

The hardware that i used in the end was the livid brain, and have spent more than $500 on this specific project.

I have made a board with a 4x4 button pad, another board with a set of 2x4 buttons with 4 knobs and 4 encoder knobs and a board with 4 sliders and 8 knobs.

if the photo below works, it is everything without the case

:allthethings:

• 2 months later...