DMX controller v Program

AlexJ

Now i know roughly how to setup dmx through a controller. however im wondering whether it would be better to have a dmx program on le computer and run dmx from there instead of the controller? i know u can get dmx to usb dongles so u can run dmx from the comp but im wondering peoples experience with running dmx of the computer. I would like to do it this way, save me carting around extra kit.

thoughts?

I run Freestyler DMX software (free off the net) with a Velleman USB to DMX dongle and love it. I just recently bought a second hand tablet with touch screen so you can set it up to so the screens has 'buttons'. Basically means anyone can use it. This is the last social I did at work using this rig:

4944811_orig.jpg

The tablet is basically a laptop. You plug the DMX dongle into the lappy via USB. The dongle then outputs the DMX signal via a 3 pin XLR cord. I do lighting design so I like a lot of flexibility. As G says, if your lookig to only do small parties then its better to buy some lights (fixtures) with built in microphones that have a good sound to light ability (ie detect the beat and move accordingly).

Some of the best features of Freestyler are:

It comes with a free vizualizer so you can create a virtual venue and watch how your lights act without ever having to set them up (see vid below)

It has a timer so you can accurately adjust when you want your smoke machine to put out smoke (if it has DMX capability)

It has a fairly sophisticated beat detection facility (via the mic in your lappy)

You can control your lights via a touchscreen, keyboarrd shortcuts, a midi device or just mouse

• 8 months later...

What Software would u recommend for a MAC. I'm a NEWBIE to the forum ;) Frestyler only seems to be available for a windows box.

Also looks like u have a fair few moving heads.. what would a setup like the one u are using cost to buy or do u rent.

Can you suggest some cheap DMX Compatible moving heads?