Tryna get some gigs mayne!

mattmace

I did this set quickly yesterday arvo to try and entice some people to give me some gigs as i have a young family and can't get out and network on the weekends like everyone else and i thought i'd post it up here too for anyone that might wanna listen :) Haven't been on here in a while so thought i'd come back with a present :faku:

https://soundcloud.com/zoidburgg/the-stinky

Listened to a fair bit of it dude,

Beatmatching etc fairly tight and all that, won't go into specifics there. However i'll say this.

If your aiming at gigs a few things i'll mention:

-In the DJ world "you're nobody until you're a somebody". So they are always going to hire the 'somebody' (whether that is someone with rep in the area, the owner/promoters mate, etc.) for the peak time (and most other slots tbh) slots over you. This applies no matter how good you are compared to the other DJs, as not many people know you.

Perhaps maybe aim at getting an opening / warm up slot by sending a warm up style set instead of a set full of 'bangers'. Maybe something a bit more laid back, 'boppy' / tech / commercial styled stuff that the club would play early in the night. Obviously the style depends on what club your aiming at - get a grasp of what gets played early in the night and aim your focus more at that kind of stuff.

DJ sets these days don't hold much weight in getting gigs as anyone can make a perfect set on the computer and send it in - so in the event a club promoter listens to your DJ mixtape, its going to be more about what you are playing than being technically good mixing wise.

Hopefully this has helped you and you can use this info to your advantage - all the best :thumleft:

Dude that feedback is perfect and a frigging great piece of advice. I contemplated doing something like that but i don't actually know what is played early on at most clubs cause A. I am never usually in there too early. B. I am usually drunk and C. I haven't been out in months but i will talk to some mates in the industry and ask some advice and see if i can get something a little less peak time put together.

Thanks!!!!!

Sadly you will never get far unless you are at the clubs quite alot.

You need to suss out the music, level of djs, what works with crowds at different times/ different venues.

Show interest in a party and support it, a dj that turns up plays and leaves is no good unless youre a big name.

If you really cant get out to the clubs, a competition or producing your own misic is the best bet.

If yo

Yeah i think i'm just gonna have to talk to the mrs and have a lot of sober weekends out lol. I've been asking a few guys that dj regularly for any open spots but the people i'm asking i don't really know so i didn't think they'd help me out much. You guys pretty much confirmed what i was already thinking. Thanks heaps for the tips. Guess i'm just gonna have to get a hair cut and put on my finest suspenders and hair grease and hit the town :P i s'pose i could be doing worse things to chase a dream :P