DMX (intelligent) lighting for Dj's...

SourceRaver

Thought I’d just put together some basics on intelligent lighting for those of you who like to set up your own lighting shows...

DMX 512

DMX lighting fixtures are all connected together in series (or daisy chained) via a DMX cable and are usually controlled by a lighting desk. DMX controllers send out discreet packages of information to all the fixtures in the chain. As each fixture can be given a unique address, only those fixtures with the correct address will respond to commands from the lighting controller.

DMX fixtures can operate on a number of channels in that each channel represents a different function performed by the light. One channel may represent brightness (i.e. intensity) and others may change the colour or gobo (shape of the projected image). Some lighting fixtures such as the MAC 700 can have over 30 channels! A DMX system works on 512 channels in that if you add up all the channels for your individual fixtures, they can’t be more than 512.

The output form a DMX desk is usually via a DMX cable but in most cases a normal XLR cable (i.e. microphone cable) will do the job. Some DMX equipment require a 5 pin cable but as the 4th and 5th pin aren’t used, a 5 pin to 3 pin adaptor will work fine. For large installations, when the DMX signal reaches the end of the chain, it sometimes ‘bounces’ back resulting in the lights behaving strangely. In this case you would use an inexpensive DMX terminator on the end of the chain to stop the signal in its track.

DMX CONTROLLERS

DMX controllers vary in size and price. You can either opt for a dedicated lighting desk, or use a USB to DMX dongle and control your lights with a computer. A good example of the USB dongle is the Enttec USB Pro:

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... escription

box_view.jpg

You can buy the dongle for around $300 and then download some free software from the net to control your lights. An excellent example is a program called Freestyler:

http://users.telenet.be/freestylerdmx/

freedtyler4.jpg

Freestyler has all the options you need as a DJ and is a great platform for creating lighting shows. It also comes with a free 3D visualiser that allows you to program a show in 3D on a virtual stage without ever actually having to set up your gear.

capture.jpg

SWITCHPACK

Ok...so you have already have a bunch of lighting that isn’t DMX controlled. That’s OK as you can buy a switchpack that basically acts as a DMX controlled power board. The switchpack responds to a DMX signal by allowing power to pass through a standard 10 amp plug. You can use a switchpack to remotely control pretty much any non DMX lighting fixture but only to turn them on or off.

DSP4%201small.jpg

DIMMER

A dimmer acts much the same way as switchpack but allows you to vary the amount of power going to the fixture. They work well with floods and par cans (but not LED floods or par cans!). Dimmers are sometimes also connected to a chaser. A chaser automatically varies the amount of power sent to the dimmer. The chaser may be triggered by sound or have built in sequences so that the lights (e.g. par cans) turn on and off in a specific order.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I'd never buy any kind of dongle from King's Cross, no matter what shape or how many buttons it had :P

But in reality does anyone know a distributor?

Head Office

Address:

ENTTEC Pty Ltd

Unit 17/5 Samantha Court

Knoxfield 3180

Australia

Tel: +61 3 9763 5755

Fax: +61 3 9763 5688

Found that on their website: http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Contact

I think I've seen the ENTTEC dongle on eBay too.

A venue I work at got it as part of a full installation from Lightmoves in Noble Park, Victoria.

• 3 weeks later...