Are rough transitions acceptable on stage? (MIXING)

RYUK

Just wondering, because I know everyone would prefer a smooth transition from track to track when mixing - but I do know a few other DJ's who just put minimal effort into mixing. I see this as kind of sloppy, but I was wondering what other people thought.

Rough mixing may not be acceptable to some but it sure as hell happens. It depends on your music/crowd/atmosphere of course but in my humble experience:

Let's face it: Shit happens. Drinks get spilled, idiots fuck you up mid mix. You may have terrible monitors, or you may just have a wobble... if you're best mix goes wrong it is up to you as a performer to be able to recoup the fail and turn it back into something baus.

Live music is respected because live performers can cope with the rigours of live performance.

Many ravers are too busy chatting/drinking etc to notice a rough transition anyway. And if you are worried about what the wannabe bedroom DJs think then you need to getalife.

I'm not saying you need to be a scruffy whale like me, but I wouldn't worry about perfection. Perfection is airbrushed photos of cosmetically enhanced women. Reality is someone you can actually touch. I know what I prefer.

/rant.