USB Issues

yizzle

So i have a Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop.

it has 3 USB 3.0 + 1 USB 3.0 PowerShare

When i plug in sound cards, MIDI controllers, pretty much everything all is good. works just fine.

My issue is with is with USB sticks & perhaps ScanDisk ones? (as i mostly own those?)

As of maybe 2 weeks ago the laptop will not read USB sticks. when i put one in it makes that 'BeBoop' sound.

But then the laptop does not seem to recognize the the usb stick i have put in, at all. nothing comes up.

When i pull the USB stick out it makes that same 'BeBoop' Sound.

If i pull the USB out and try it in every port over and over and spend 10 mins doing so it seems to randomly read it and everything is fine

Also being a dumbass i have no idea about the PowerShare USB, but it does seem to work more on 1 USB port over the others.

Bottom Left.

Any help would save my sanity.

As always, thanks in advance.

try going to disk management and seeing what the go is in there

open run command (windows + r) and typing "diskmgmt.msc" and hit enter

you may see your usb drives in there

if you do, try right clicking and change drive letter where you can assign it one.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so, now even with "diskmgmt.msc" its not even reading the USB stick at all. just everything else.

say for every 5 times i plug in a usb stick, it will only read it 1 time.

i was trying to give a m8 some shit on usb today, total failure :(

its reading soundcard, midi's etc all via usb fine.

dis is ghey :cry:

• 2 months later...

1. Have any USB or external drives worked on your computer?

2. What is the make and model of your computer?

As all the hardware devices have drivers associated similarly USB devices also have it. Sometimes proper drivers do not get detected after the initial installation so reinstallation of the drivers helps resolve the issues.

You may check after uninstalling and reinstalling the USB drivers if you are able to connect. You may disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. ClickStart, and then click Control Panel.

2. ClickSystem and Maintenance, click System, and then clickDevice Manager.

Note If Control Panel is in Classic View, double-clickSystem, and then click Device Manager.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or clickAllow.

3. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

Check if at all there is an exclamation mark along the driver, it suggests issues with the driver installed.

4. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

If you still face the same issue then you may check for the updated USB device drivers using windows update. Refer to the below link for assistance–

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... g-properly

If the issue sill persists I would request you to check for chipset driver updates which you can get at the manufacturer website. The chipset drivers normally incorporate USB controller drivers as well.