Help with annoying hum from speakers

Hi guys,

I am a self admitted noob on electrical equipment technical stuff so forgive my ignorance. I got all inspired and recently whipped out some DJ equipment I haven't used in a loooong time. I got it all set up and its come with an added bonus of a horribad hummmmm'ing noise through the speakers and possibly broken cable. Who knows.

Ive spent quite a lot of time trying to isolate the problem. I have disconnected and reconnected every cable from turntables>mixer>amp>speaker and < etc, turned every EQ and so on.

I have found only a couples of things effect the problem:

1. Turning the master volume up also increases the volume of the hum but even on 0 master volume the hum is still loud and annoying.

2. (see pictures to try understand what Im describing) When I connect the orange cable from the mixer to the amp this is when the hum occurs but I also get the music coming through with the hum. I can put the orange cable in left or right output jack so it doesn't seem to be the jacks.

If I take the orange cable OUT and replace it with the gray cable that's loose in the photo, in either left or right output jack the hum goes away BUT so does the music.

mixer.JPG

So Im not really sure, I assume the hum must be a signal coming from the mixer but also is the cable broken? If I go buy a cable will the really crappy hum still be there? or is this just a symptom of the cause....

Ive spent quite a bit of time with cars and things break, but in all my time I've never experienced a cable or wire in a car just stop working, its usually every other component around the wire/cable... it doesn't make any sense to me.

Finally when I disconnect the turntable inputs the hum is still there so im 99% sure its between the amp and mixer somewhere.

Any insight would help, if you've ever had experience with a similar problem..or happy to answer any more questions to help problem solve.

Thanx

Chrish