Beat matching and tempo range

Hey guys,

I was just wondering about the tempo range of on the CDJ and the accuracy that different tempo ranges give. For example if we use the tempo range by default +/- 10. The song playing is 128bpm however the song you are playing next is 127, do you raise the tempo by +0.80% to get the most accurate tempo match to 128bpm. I was told a little tip that when changing per 1 bpm look at the percentage change, and make sure its a factor of 8. EXAMPLE: 127bpm to 129bpm is +1.6% and this seems to be very accurate, however if we use a tempo range of +/-6 does the percent per bpm change? I hope this makes some sense.. Its very difficult to explain without decks in front of you!!

Thanks

If you change it to +/- 6 it is still roughly 0.8 to go from 127 to 128.

Please note you'll be much better off using your ears to do the beat matching instead of guessing the percentage increments, as among other reasons, these percentages aren't going to work when you start mixing other tempos

The amount of pitch movement required to change the bpm of a track eg 0.8, 1.6 etc doesnt change with the pitch range settings, it just changes how small the increments of change are.

I personally prefer +/- 6 as it gives you a little more accuracy when playing around. The bpm readers arent amazingly accurate tbh, 9/10 times my pitch will be 0.78, 0.82 etc 0.8 will you close yes but not perfect.

Also remember if you go higher in bpms the amount of pitch required to change a bpm becomes less. For example at 140ish its like 0.70 instead of 0.80 per bpm.

These are good to give you a rough guide then the rest is by ear.

The amount of pitch movement required to change the bpm of a track eg 0.8, 1.6 etc doesnt change with the pitch range settings, it just changes how small the increments of change are.

I personally prefer +/- 6 as it gives you a little more accuracy when playing around. The bpm readers arent amazingly accurate tbh, 9/10 times my pitch will be 0.78, 0.82 etc 0.8 will you close yes but not perfect.

Also remember if you go higher in bpms the amount of pitch required to change a bpm becomes less. For example at 140ish its like 0.70 instead of 0.80 per bpm.

These are good to give you a rough guide then the rest is by ear.

awesome, that really cleared things up!! thanks