traktor scratch pro + controller

eggssell

hey

ive done the search in this forum and couldnt find anything, point me in the right direction if it already exists.

anyone using/ have used traktor scratch pro with a MIDI controller. if so which one, what do you use it for, and what are the goods and the bads.

is it possible to get the MIDI to fully control an internal deck, while providing loops, effect, and loading control for the turntables?

cheers

yeah i saw that, and the dj rafik demo rocked.

partially what made me think i want something.

tossing up though whether to wait for that, or get an akai mpd which i can use for traktor and other things.

but then a part of me is saying am i just getting greedy! considering i havent mastered djing let alone getting into producing. i guess just thinking ahead.

i dont actually use the effects (yet) in traktor, as the reloop iq2 has 5 or 6 effects built in.

in essence all i really want is to be able to browse and load tracks in to deck a & b (which are the tt's). and maybe set off loops.

i dont actually use cue points (again yet) either. but would probably like to be able to set and go to cues, and therefore will also need the ability to switch from relative to absolute (though i do already have it set to auto switch back to absolute when loading a new track).

can you recommend any wazza?

also having looked at heaps of articles, forums and videos of the Kontrol X1, i dont actually think it can control a 3rd internal deck in full, while also providing effects/ transport/ loading control over the 2 DVS decks. am i wrong?

I'm midi mad...I love midi

I have a Vestax vci-100 , a Stanton SCS d3 , a trigger finger & a Edirol pcr 500

I don't touch my laptop when I dj

everthing is map in the software...

the X1 is just a midi controller...you can map it to how you like it & what you need in the software....but no jog-wheels so it will be no good to control 3rd deck

have a look at the Kontrol one

http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1335

it will do 4 decks & give all the button , knobs & fader you need & its cheep

I know I will get some hate for this....but I'v had a play on this & its good

hmmm. that looks okay, but i dont really need 4 deck control as i have the TT's and actually only want the 3rd deck to maybe trigger samples. obviously if i could load tracks fast enuff (i.e not touch laptop) i could probably drop using one of the tt's. but i was just thinkning if i had one playing, one beat matched ready to go, and just wanting to drop a sample, access to a 3rd deck would be nice.

and as mentioned i was considering an akai in case i ever get into production. i like what this guy does, using the vinyl and the akai to load and cue. but i know it will cost me, but its the same price as the Kontrol X1

I do the same thing as the video...but I use my Edirol pcr 500....

img0645yow.th.jpg

the Edirol pcr 500 is the best midi controller I'v got

I use it for everthing....for VSTi scratching , for triggering CUE for scratching , for loading tracks & looping + it has a footswitch so I can add Effects with-out tacking my hands of the vinly

I say look at the MPD 32 or a Edirol pcr 300

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... rentId=114

I've been using xone 4d for a year now with TSP.

you need to think about what physical controls you want and then check what's out there

eg effects banks you probably want 4 rotary controls (depths plus 3 parameters per effect).

looping, play, cue, 4 buttons. how many channels? what about track select/load? not having to touch the laptop doing that is much nicer.

do you want to control just 2 fx banks or all 4?

traktor uses midi modifiers, basically a shift/control key, so with just one extra key you can make exactly the same controls work over another channel.

at the moment the only time I touch the laptop is to update the seutp, I can play timecode, internal or anything just off the midi controls.

as for loading tracks fast - that's where 4 decks come in useful. Rarely 4 decks at once, but you can have the next track lined up or already looping.

If you're just playing in additiion to decks and budget is limited, a trigger finger may fit the bill.

checked the 4d. might be too much of an overkill for me because yes i will be using along w/ decks. so if anything just the 1d like richie hawtin does.

as above im probably not sure what i will use in future probably fx banks, but definitely for now i am looking for loading tracks, setting loops and setting cues. a bonus would be to control one of the internal decks (be it 3 or 4 or both) while still having the time code on 1 & 2.

i still can't figure out whether the xone 1d or kontrol x1 can allow this.

oh yeah and 1d prob out of my budget, but if i decide i want it i may wait. unlike when i got a 2 channel mixer when now i wish i had 3!!!!! (ha ha but i just use the mic input since it has EQ)

finally, found something that confirms you can do what i need. i guess its like what you were saying wazza, traktor can take any midi you just have to program it. anywho found this on the ni forum:

http://www.traktorworld.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=93920

while there is a lot of complaints about not being able to sync, which i dont use anywho, there were lots of peeps doing exactly what i intended, two time code and one internal for loops or samples

also found this comparison about low end midi's:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/08/08/p ... smackdown/

it has a sync function but i dont use it (i dont actually even know how, i think from that ni forum post it said if you use vinyl the feature is disabled), and i dont think i need it i sync tracks using the tt's pitch control and i only want the 3rd deck fro samples or playing a loop which ill use the tt's to beatmatch too.

Hahaha that dude in the video has a millenium falcon :)

ha ha. i just realised what you were talking about (i think).

do you mean the right hand turntable. thats the qbert turntable with built in mixer, i think vestex makes em.

the dj kid with the funny dance moves (dj ryusei) is using one from memory in the vid i posted previously.

Yeah you got it, ugliest looking turntable known to man I think, I dont know it just looks really unstable.

The QFO ...Ugly yes...unstable no

its a real scratchs turntable it has the best off the vestax 05 pro mixer & the PDX turntable in one deck & it has the best tonearm ever made for a turntable...you can use it on a 45 degree angle with-out skipping

thats just like Q-bert to do that though, if u read up about him, you'll find he was really a pioneer in making wacky sounds from the decks. He said he imagined he was in outerspace, and what an aliens music would sound like lol. So im not surprised to see that he created that turntable.

thats just like Q-bert to do that though, if u read up about him, you'll find he was really a pioneer in making wacky sounds from the decks. He said he imagined he was in outerspace, and what an aliens music would sound like lol. So im not surprised to see that he created that turntable.

Wow, I think mr Qbert has been smoking to much DMT :)

• 2 weeks later...