CDJ1000 vs CDJ900

BeatLeSS

Okay, so i'm upgrading my equipment for chrissy.

Question i've got cos i need a hand with it is this;

Is the 900's worthy going for an extra couple hundred over the 1000's and why? I've been chatting to a couple of guys i know that have been doing this for a few years and they seem to think 1000's are the way to go, i'm just wondering with the introduction of the 900's would it be more beneficial to get those instead? Can't really find too much info (TBH haven't dug around all that much to compare the two) but from what i can see the 900's probably are a worthy investment.

2000's are out of budget so out of question.

Cheers,

Lance.

I am currently facing exactly the same situation. I have asked alot of people what they would buy and they all have said get the 900's over the 1000's.

The USB functionality of the 900's give it alot more possibilities in the future. Plus, your buying the latest generation of gear as the 900 is basically a 1000 but with ALOT more features. I think to if you can play well with a 900, a 2000 is quiet similar so transition to use a CDJ 2000 wouldn't be to difficult.

The problem we are facing is that you can get a set of 2x 2nd hand CDJ 1000MK3's for around $2000-$2500 mark and because the CDJ900 is so new there is no second hand units yet so your looking more at around the $3800 mark for two new units. I do beleive the extra cost is worth it though because i've heard the price of CDJ1000 will be going down quiet abit once these 2000 & 900 CDJ's take off. From what i can see getting the 900's is a much better investment.

Does anyone know if/when a new lower end CDJ will be released with USB and ability to use rekordbox that comes in under the 900????

i used the 900's last nights and are practically identical to the 1000's except for a few cool features like the 900's slip effect which when activated now matter what you do to the song cut scratch loop crush or whatever the feature puts the song back to where it was which blew my mind and imo i would get just for that, but if you have zero desirablity for usb id say go for the 1000's, at the end of the day they are what will remain in the clubs for a while yet

Thanks for the input guys. I think USB would definitely make things a lot more efficient for management, especially with rekordbox, and lets face it, organisation off the decks is just as critical as on them.

So i think for the extra $200 a piece i'll go ahead and get the 900's. Hopefully can get them express posted to get here before christmas.

On a side note - bought a DJM800 few days ago, and omfg i'm impressed. Compared to the DDM4000 lol.

Cheers once again,

Lance.

• 2 months later...

i've only looked at them but the 900's seem to be the same as the 800's from bottom up but not the screen (not counting colour) as they don't have two vynil adjustment knobs (not that it matters really lol) and they have the auto loop not the hot cues like the 1000's and now the 2000's.Both seem really cool also got told the 1000's aren't being made anymore?

I dont mind already got 2 and a djm 800 ;)

also good to see the 900's get +/-6 unlike the 800's

Definitely impressed with them... Here's the advantages i've found out so far.

USB/LAN Media Management --> For those that take their laptop to gigs can actually with a set of 900's/2000's use rekord box to load tracks via a network hub to the decks! I also love the ability to export my playlists to usb, it creates a history as i play along the set, so i can go back and see in what order etc did i play, i can also set up the memory points for cue's, so although i didn't have it pre-done i know next time i've got a cue point there.

Slip mode is wicked, great for that reverse, and in combination with the auto-loops, freaking good to know as long as i can count beats i'm not gonna stuff up too badly - or for the vinyl mode lovers same thing, scratch a quick 1-2beat and its back on track.

Browsing tracks --> Not as intuitive as i'd hoped, then again i haven't really spent much time in the management of my tracks, am at the moment keying and creating playlists for each key, which should help me out a bit more and then i'll know where my tracks lie after some lengthy exposure to it.

The downside i've found with the auto-loops is it won't keep the tempo, for some reason (and i think it's only playing from flash drive, haven't noticed it as much on CD) before it kicks back to the beginning of the loop it'll keep playing a frame or two, haven't had much time mucking around with loops as i'm still learning beatmixing, but thats what i've noticed --> Might record a quick sample for you's to listen to, maybe someone will know if i'm doing something wrong, or it really just has a delay reading back to the beginning of the loop.

• 3 months later...