new beginner setup

nesh

Hey

I'm a all new to this entire DJ thing but i've decided i want to start with something small and see how I go. Maybe like small parties and stuff if I'm any good.

I've got around $2k to spend including speakers as I don't have any of these either.

So a little help would be awesome.

I'm thinking along these lines....

http://www.djcity.com.au/products/pk-dj ... -_680.html

and this pa package...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Con ... NTID=36692

Those decks are a carbon copy of mine with a different name lol. They are fine for beginners, def recommend.

Alternatively you could sacrifice some cash for your speakers and get this: http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2467

Probably an overkill on the speakers though. Just a basic Hi Fi will do, or even better, a pair of cheap monitors. PA arent designed for bedroom DJing and they do not create the tru sound that you want when monitoring (doing what you do when you practice).

Try: http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=2269

I have a mate that has them and they're pretty nice.

Just remember you have to budget in for a pair of cans as well.

Oh sick as, you just saved me like $300.

Unfortunately student wages and expensive items don't go together.

Those speakers you showed me will be good for like a smallish crowd too wouldn't it? If like I end up doing friends' parties stuff?

And also by cans you mean headphones right?

Don't know all the lingo yet lol

yeah.. those speakers should be good for parties. They've got some punch man. Just keep in mind that monitors are designed to output the true sound that is being produced, so make sure you mix with quality audio.

You won't notice too much of a difference, especially with low end monitors like the behringers.

Yeah, cans are headphones, sorry. Any technics, sony's, sennheisers, audio technicas etc will do the job. I've got Xone xd 53s and they are orgasmic.

I'd have to throw out there also that spending a bit on cans would be beneficial.

They're not something i've had to swap and change and can take a hiding for some periods of times, i used Sennheiser HD212PRO's for about4 years (replacing the cable a few times).

I'm currently using HDJ1000's and i'm in love with the performance jump from them. Had a few mates buy them for their pc's after hearing music through them too, so definitely something worth looking at spending a bit more on cos i can't see them wearing out for a good 2+years unless i break them somehow.

as far as parties go, if its at your own house, ask a few mates to chip in and go to a djing store (lightsounds is great if you have one near by) and you can rent decent speakers that will do the trick.

alternativly, if someone has asked you to dj for them, ask for some extra cash so you can hire the speakers. or ask them to hire all the speakers.

monitors will be fine for just a few mates around, but a decent party would need decent speakers.

I think anyway:)

Studio monitors are not made for playing loud, they are made for quality sound, using those behringers at a party will kill them in a really short time. You should still get them though, studio monitors are the best for practising at home, and when you get a party gig just do what jonny said and hire some big mofos :)

Awesome thanks for the help.

Also, i'm mostly going to be doing Hip-hop and Rnb kinda stuff so do I need turntables or just CD decks going to be alright?

I just always thought that they'd do the same thing and there wouldn't be much difference.