What's wrong with my high pass filter?

lok204

I've been watching a lot of vids on the mix down stage of production lately as I feel that's a weak spot at this point. A technique that is always mentioned is the use of a high pass filter on virtually everything besides kick and bass.

So tonight I decided to put that into practice. Starting with drums, put a high pass on a snare at about 100hz and notice only the slightest difference on my analyzer with plenty of lows still rumbling about. I tried it lower (around 40), I tried it higher (about 200hz, until there was a tinny audible difference) and still all this muddy low frequency mess.

What am I doing wrong? My resonance is at 0 as I don't want to colour the sound and the analyzer is on the master channel but I was soloing the snare at the time.

Is it too much to expect that ALL the low stuff is gone? I'm doing this in Maschine so are the EQ and Filter plug ins just shit?

Can provide a screenshot if needed. I'm just on my phone atm is all...

Sent from my C6603 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

Some filters usually have a mild resonance when even set 0 there's a slight peak. Use an EQ and activate a low cut. The sample you use can effect where your transients are gonna be and what not.

If you can't do sidechain compression in maschine try using an LFO tool

Upon closer inspection it appears I had a compressor on the group that was adding some frequencies. Totally blanked on that one.

I also forgot to mention that I'm running Maschine 2 which has sidechain. Although I normally fix sidechains after exporting into FL.

Appreciate the response gentlemen.

What do you use Maschine with?

Currently my flow is making the track start to end and fine tuning. Then export each sound, drop it into FL Studio playlist and mixdown from there.

Running Maschine inside FL as a vst results in crazy CPU usage and limits me to 16 channels out.

Use it with ableton.

The way I seem to be using it mainly is just rough out drum patterns and stuff, then bounce out and do all my fx, fine tuning and all the cool stuff inside ableton. I like the samples in maschine, but prefer ableton workflow

Will probably end up using maschine more for live stuff..