ableton vs traktor

tubby

Anyone got thoughts on these two?

I was going to get ableton to team up with cdj/dvs for looping, layering etc.

I'm perfectly happy with the DVS I have now (djdecks - shits on serato imo) and was just going to add ableton, then I saw traktor. cheaper by a fair bit since I have a certified mixer, beatgrids, effects, time code system so could be an all-in one offering. mix of Tcv's as well as midi control of other tracks.

i guess I'm going to load demo versions of both and see how i get on.

• 1 month later...

I've spent a while now with traktor so time for short update.

nice layout, with decent midi map it's easy to use 4 decks. Looping is good, effects are awesome.

time code works perfectly on cd and vinyl, and yoiu can switch to internal mode at anytime to sync up automatically.

downside - tempremental program. sometimes I open it nothing will play, close and re-open works fine. Moved the laptop today and the usb cable wobbled. After that all the buttons worked and moved menus but no audio until I shut down the program and restarted. and it takes ages to shut down as it updates a lot of stuff then.

hopefully a couple more point releases and it'll all be good. I guess the best thing is it still feels like dj'ing with all the possibilities of software.

• 6 months later...

I use Traktor pro 1.1 quite often just at home, i have turned a few background apps of and to be honest ive never ever had it cause any glitches or slowdowns.

2gig processor with2 gig ram is all thats needed for it to work perfect (and i use an behringer external)

try the newest version guys

• 1 month later...

Tubby to make sure you use it to the fullest

use a computer thats got nothing added just the software for recording or editing etc

no antivirus, no spyware crap

no network stuff you dont need it

make it a system that you can use for just music

otherwise no matter what you do the system can become jerky, slow down and you wont use that system to the fullest!

test it with another system thats loaded with stuff and you will see a difference

abelton is completley different to traktor both have pros and cons for what your trying to do, i really like the way Richie Hawtin uses traktor i think thats probably a good soloution for what your trying to do and i think traktor would be much better for keeping you busy behind the decks, not just clicking a laptop.

this one came back from the dead :)

by coincidence, am recording on traktor now, and it's being it's typical random self

one deck is not receiving timecode properly today, nopthing has changed since last time I used it. and checking normal record, that's getting both channels just fine.

I just come to expect this shit from traktor now

edit: just messed about swapping decks/mixer channels, carts etc.

now I have swapped the rca's around (ie swapped left and right rca going into the mixer) and it's working. so now my left and right deck have the rca's different ways, and that works when it worked the other way on saturday. that's just life with traktor