When to takeover dj playing before you at a gig?

Danielle

Stick to your set time, physically take over at the time you should. best to have a couple words with the dj before you, a polite dj will ask you where you want to start and mix to get you closer, also giving you a track with a particularly long outro etc so you can get yourself sorted. remember it can be alittle awkward for you as long as it doesnt seem awkward to the punters. they shouldnt realise whats going on

If the sets are completely different, use your wide function and start at a breakdown like labrat said. can basically filter out whatever was playing and then speed/slow your track down to reqd tempo in the next 4 bars. Breakdowns are good for tempo changes (providing you have key lock on) because the lack of percussion makes it really easy to disguise large change. I often use a technique similar to this to go from say 90bpm to 128. or 140/150 to 100. As long as the tracks have a similar theme you can make almost anything work. 

Obviously only do this if you can mix from whatever they were playing and lets be honest (without trying to sound too rude), if your being payed to play at a club or event you should be able to mix across a number of genres/tempos. It may not be your niche but its a fundamental skill. If your particularly worried about what the dj before you will play, simply prepare 4-5 songs your happy to start your set with across a number of tempos. that way you are prepared for wherever the dj before you finishes up.

7 hours ago, LabRat said:

Do you get all Liam Neeson when you physically take over? lol I would suggest to just make your presence felt about 10/15mins before you get on. You gotta load up your USB's anyway 

i just mean that stick to your set time, too early and your the ass that is cutting off someone else's set, too late and your lazy and dont care enough about your own. There are some times when your happy to give them a few more minutes (i remember i played a gig recently where it was the young guy before me's first gig and he was absolutely killing it so I was like 'fuck it' and let him have 10 more minutes) and times when you just want to get started asap. As long as you try to remain professional things generally work out. If they wont let you start then let them go and make a note of it to management. If its a big gig continue to urge them. If they arnt doing right by other artists its funny how quickly those people dont get booked again..

definitely agree with labrat though, making your presence felt is incredibly important but it is key that you avoid being perceived as a nuisance. Generally a hi and a handshake with a quick glance at your watch is enough to communicate your here for business but that no one needs to stress.