dj comp

Skank

this is associated with a club night? how's it going to be judged?

if you say open ended, but it's at a club with a given style, obviously dj's with similar genre will score better crowd reactions.

anyway promote widely, since all those folks entered should be bringing their friends along too.

• 3 weeks later...
the heats will be judged by crowd participation

Thats the worst way to do it. You need a judging panel at each one. If you use crowd participation only in the heats you'll be opening yourself up for a lot of critisim.

e.g One contestant may have awesome track selection/skills and not turn up with many supporters and gets beaten by someone who is average but has 20 mates come along and dance during their set then leave.

It should only be 30% of the total score in my mind

Thats just my 2 cents

i can totaly see that, now from a bar managers point of view the more people i get in the more will drink creating the "bums on seats" i need to pay for the acts cause at the end of the day unknown dj's will only have a following of their mates wont they?

hey lads

im throwing a dj comp mid next year round jun july and wondering if anyone here has any advice or tips and good ideas you could impart onto me

it will be first prize $3000 second $1500 and thirD $500

its an open ended comp

where does that money come from?

Sounds good. What state is this comp to be held in?

unbiased Judges are always a good start

Get a couple of sponsors on board (like record shops or Industry related companies eg. stanton etc.

Work with a club and maybe offer a residency or something like that for the winner

All this stuff helps keep your costs down

You dont HAVE to offer money.

1st prize might get some $$$ and a residency @ ??? Club

2nd prize gets a set of head phones and a $200 voucher at Some record shop and an closing set @ ??? Club

3rd prize

Opening set @ ??? Club and a t-shirt

In my experience, the djs enter comps for exposure. If you can give the 3 winners more exposure, thats better than any $$$

Thats my 2cents anyways :)

I'm an upcoming DJ in Sydney in the Hard Dance scene.

If I was going to enter a comp - then sure $3000 would be great for prizemoney - but I agree with pride - I would be happier with a smaller amount of money for greater exposure.

In my opinion you should spend the other money advertising the comp etc to get more people through the door.

For example - there is a Transmission DJ comp on most years where the winner gets a mainstage set at Transmission - that's the kind of exposure no amount of money can buy you.

The comp you're running isn't my scene - but just thought I would throw my 2 cents in as someone who would enter a comp at the moment to build my name in the scene.

promo girls?

well see... do you know any good looking/hot girls with big tits? if so then go up to them and ask them if they want a promo job. :D then give them a cammera and tell them to take photos and hand out flyers..

theres nothing to it. Also look at advertising agency's as well as entertainment agencys