Limiters?

BeatLeSS

Dragged my 8" monitors to a house party the other weekend and the tweeters have blown. Definitely at some point the signals were entirely maxxed, from dj controller to mixer console to speakers. I wanna put something in the chain that can prevent something like this happening again, where I can setup the gear and walk away knowing noobs can push their signals as much as they want. Is a limiter something I should be looking for here? Anyone got any experience, recommendations?

after a certain point something along the chain will start clipping so you're not going over the max anyway. The limiter you want, was inside you all along - use your brain and watch levels. If you think something like that will happen again, and you can't just keep an eye on levels, unmap the master output volume knob/set up master limiter in traktor/tape off the volume knobs on the monitors - hardware limiters start at nearly $200 and are built for studios, so they're big units for rack mounting. 

I'll be carting my equipment around. It isn't for myself. It's for when others are using it and I don't wanna stand by it watching it like a hawk. Basically want to prevent as much noobiness as possible. 

So yeah, for situations where the equipment is not just only in control by me.

Legit me and a mate have already said this.

But seriously though, it might eventually get to the point where I turn around and hire the equipment out to friends or something, so it'd be nice to know it can't be ruined by just general noobiness when everyone is sloppy af.