Controllers without jog-wheels but with 'transport-functions' (like the Traktor X1)

vyvafc

I'm confused about controllers without jog-wheels or jog-wheel-type functions (and multiple Youtube videos have not made me any wiser!) but can still select/cue/play (Ie I realise some controllers are purely for effects or remix etc.)

This is about adding basic digital capability to a vinyl/analogue set-up.

For example: if I have a Xone:K2, can I map track selection, cueing and play functions? That is, can I use this set-up ... laptop>K2>analogue mixer ... to play tracks on laptop (using Traktor) but with total control from the K2 controller - so track/folder selection, cueing, play, pause, etc?

Obviously the Traktor x1 can do this as it has a dedicated track select pot + the touch strip that replaces jog wheels.

I'm new to digital djing so excuse my ignorance. What I want is a minimal controller that will remove any need for me to be fiddling with the laptop itself - so I need it to be able to select, cue and play! Because of my style of music I don't need to scratch or do anything fancy - just select a track from a folder; find where I want to start it from; and play it!

Thanks

Do you have turntables already? If so, DVS (Digital Vinyl System), also known as “time code” may interest you. The X1/K2 controllers are designed with DVS in mind. With this setup, you use a special vinyl record and sound card which allows you to use your analog turntables as a jog wheel. You can then use the X1/K2 controller to navigate and choose tracks, set hot cues etc.. with this setup you don’t need play/pause as you use the turntable for that. 

Traktor and Serato are the two most popular software for this functionality.