OSX 11 - Big Sur / M1 Silicone Chip

LabRat

If anyone is thinking of updating to Big Sur or upgrading your system to a new Mac with the M1 chip you may wish to hold off a little longer, unless you're using native Apple apps such as Logic Pro, Final Cut etc.

I'm on the look out to do both, update my MBP to Big Sur and invest in a Mac mini with the M1 chip. I've been keeping my eye on what's compatible and what isn't and nothing much has changed in the last month or so, so I would suggest if you're thinking of doing the same just wait until maybe mid-year. 

In the meantime, if you're interested, jump onto Roaring Apps and search the applications you often use and their compatibility with Big Sur and with the M1 chip. New technology is exciting but also a massive pain in the ass for existing software. Hope this little tool helps anyone looking to upgrade.  

I tend to stay a couple of revisions behind. Still on Mojave for the music stuff, and run a separate OS install for work/daily browsing.

I suspect Ableton Live 11 will have M1 support in some form when it’s released in the next couple of months... Many have said both v10 and v11 beta are running OK with Rosetta 2, but there’s likely many audio interface drivers and VSTs which may not work. 

13 hours ago, Mitch said:

I tend to stay a couple of revisions behind. Still on Mojave for the music stuff, and run a separate OS install for work/daily browsing.

I suspect Ableton Live 11 will have M1 support in some form when it’s released in the next couple of months... Many have said both v10 and v11 beta are running OK with Rosetta 2, but there’s likely many audio interface drivers and VSTs which may not work. 

The next problem for sure will be whether plugins and drivers will work. I'm on Catalina and for the most part everything works pretty well. 

Non music related but I've also switched to using apples native office products like pages etc. MS Office apps still work but it looks like they'll only. be supporting the web-based and 365 versions from now on. Just another thought for other software.