Recording with Allen & Heath Zone 23c

Holly

Heya! 

I've not long bought an Allen & Heath Zone 23c (also using pioneer XDJ1000) and want to start recording my sets. At first i downloaded Audacity but that doesn't seem to be responding and i just read that Audacity is not compatible with ASIO run devices and have been online A LOT trying to find solutions. To be honest i am not a Tech head whatsoever and relatively new DJ, so its all above my head a little, but was wondering if there are any other avenues i should be looking into? 

I've been connecting my mixer with USB cable only but there is also record connections for RCA but haven't tried this yet. 

Thank you! 

H.

The best way / easiest way is to record into audacity using your direct audio input on your pc or mac. You can do that by going straight out of the master channel, perhaps even from the record output. You can get twin rca > 3.5mm audio cables to make this happen. Alternately, you can get a small, cheap sound card to record into audacity. There's heaps on the market that'll make that achievable.

How are you tryig to record it now? Are you going USB from the mixer to your computer?  

I’ve personally always recorded like @LabRat has mentioned, however my mixer does not have a sound card built ion. I’ve had a look at the mixer manual for the Xone 23c and the USB out from the mixer can be used as a sound card, so in theory you should be able to record via USB out on that mixer.

1) Make sure you have the driver correctly installed. You can follow page 12 of the manual (https://www.allen-heath.com/media/AP9433_5_X23C_UG.pdf) and you can download the driver from here https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/xone-23c/ (browse to the “software” tab).

2) There seems to be some limitations using the record out over USB. Have a read of this https://gehrcke.de/2014/07/allen-heath-xone23c-hidden-technical-detail-and-quirks/, particularly the last three sections. Based on this, Audacity might not be the best tool to use. It looks like your mixer should have come with a serial key for some DJ software? The way to go may be installing that and using it to record.

If it all gets too hard you can go as @LabRat mentioned - use the RCA mixer outs to either a 3.5mm line in (if your PC has one) or get a cheap USB sound card with RCA inputs. Behringer make one that’s about $50 from Store DJ.