DJ's with Tinittus

Sevrin

Hi folks, 

I am a bedroom DJ, and would like to take my DJing to another level, and play at bars and small venues around Melbourne. I'm not interested in playing at big clubs or festivals, and the vinyl funk 45's I play generally lends itself to playing the smallish gigs anyway. 

My only hurdle is my ears. I have some mild hearing loss and moderate Tinnitus. I don't want my hearing loss or T to get worse. Can I protect my ears and DJ? Should I quit while I'm ahead and give up? I desperately want to play the music I love and would be crushed if I had to sell all my gear and give up, but i can't afford my ears getting worse. 

I have musicians ear plugs that I can wear under my headphones which in theory, should protect my ears. I mean if I can get the volume down to 60db (considered everyday speaking level) then my ears should be protected right?? On a Tinnitus forum I just visited,  there are people posting about the dangers of headphones, and that anyone with noise-induced Tinnitus should give up all headphones completely, as even low volumes and musicians ear plugs WILL NO protect ones ears from the sonic impact of headphones right next to your ears. Pretty sobering stuff. 

I'm really keen to hear from DJ's living with Tinnitus who still confidently play, but have found ways to protect their ears, but any thoughts on this subject are welcomed!

Cheers 

I have no valid input here, but I’ve been fortunate enough to be wearing ear plugs when DJing and out in clubs since I was 18.

Speak to your audiologist if you can for some more advice on what’s best in your specific circumstances.  

Hope you find a workable solution 🙏

• 2 months later...