Tone Arm Counter Weights

Genetic

hi all, i recently bought a couple of numark tt500's and the counter weights were on backwards, all pretty balanced but still backwards.

i've noticed looking at pics of people's set ups some have them the normal way and some have them backwards; Could someone please shed some light on this whole situation?

Note: i've returned them to how they were meant to be set but it's still doing my head in.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm here to put a rest to this whole backwards balance weight issue. On the Numark decks it's different because the balance weight is actually heavier on the back part, due it it's design. But on the 1200s, it's the same. Lots of Turntablists flip them in reverse because they probably saw some other DJ doing this, and they were probably better.

I've worked on 1200s for close to 10 years now, and I can tell you that there is no difference in putting the weight on backwards. However, I can tell you that it might cause more skipping issues, because the weights were not meant to be put on backwards, and when you do, there are times when the weight will not stay in place. If you put it on backwards, and pull it all the way forward, you will see there is a slight looseness to the balance weight -vs- putting it on the correct way. This will cause skipping. I've seen battles were DJs flip the balance weight, only to find that it's not exactly like their decks @ home. Master turntablism with the balance the correct way, and you'll never have such an issue.