Beginner Monitor review - ESI nEar05/08

awesome88

When it comes to starting out, and getting the feel for djing, decent monitors can go a long way to help you make the leap from bedroom dj, to performing. A good set of monitors will help you hear every part of the song, and be able to mix knowing you aren't missing out on any of the lows/mids/hi's, and without blowing you away while you are practicing.

It can be hard going into a store full of speakers, and choosing what you think will suit you best when you are just starting out. A lot of people think that bigger is better, but when it comes to speakers, this isn't always the case.

The ESI nEar05's are the monitors I am using now, and think they are perfect for practicing, and even small get togethers. They come in a 5" and 8" model, and i'll attach the specs for both.

near05e.jpg

ESI nEar05 eXperience - $490

•integral bi-amplified 70 Watt active near-field monitor

•5 1/4" kevlar low frequency driver

•1" silk-dome high frequency driver

•cross-over control optimizes performance in relation to placement

magnetically shielded for desktop operation

•input connections: 1 XLR balanced & 1 TRS balanced/unbalanced

•input sensitivity: 200 mV

•Input impedance: 30k Ohm balanced, 15k Ohm unbalanced

•Protection : RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off

•requency response: 60Hz - 22kHz

•crossover frequency: 3.2 kHz

•low frequency amplifier: 40W

•high frequency amplifier: 30W

•blue power LED on the front

•dimensions: 250mm (H) x 176mm (W) x 200mm (D)

•weight: ca. 6.5kg / speaker

ESI nEar08 eXperience - $650

•Type: 2-Way Bookshelf

•LF Driver: 8 inch Kevlar curved cone with high temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround

•HF Driver: 1 inch neodymiun soft dome tweeter with ferro fluid

•Frequency Response: 40Hz - 24kHz

•LF Amplifier Power: 70W

•HF Amplifier Power: 70W

•S/N Ratio: > 100dB below full output, 20kHz Bandwidth

•Input Connectors: 1 x XLR Balanced Input Connector and 1 x TRS Balanced/ Unbalanced Input Connector

•Input Impedance: 20k ohms balanced,10k ohms unbalanced

•Input Sensitivity: 250 mV input produces full output with Volume control at maximum

•Cabinet: vinyl laminated MDF

•Dimension: 358 mm(H) x 255 mm(W) x 322 mm(D)

•Net Weight: 10.0 kg/unit

Like i said, i have been using these for a while now, and think my mixing has improved a lot since having them. I have even used them for small house parties, and for the size, they really bang!

If you are looking for some good monitors to practice and get youself started, you can't go wrong with these for sound quality, volume, clarity and without breaking the bank.

Yea, i bought these as my first monitors. I have probably only been djing for about a year or so, but they are going strong.

I've used them for small house parties (approx 20 people) and we haven't had them up all the way, and still good for dancing etc. and you can hear them all through the house.

I have the 8" ones and they crank. I've used them for house parties as well, and even at half way (both on the mixer and the speaker) these things are plenty loud and still sound brilliant.

The down side of these is that you need to turn these up to get the most out of them (they aren't to great at very low volume), and anyone with shit neighbors or allergies to loud music need not apply.

For me, the next step up from these would be the 8" fostex monitors, however they aren't as easy on the wallet as the ESI's

I have the 8" ones and they crank. I've used them for house parties as well, and even at half way (both on the mixer and the speaker) these things are plenty loud and still sound brilliant.

The down side of these is that you need to turn these up to get the most out of them (they aren't to great at very low volume), and anyone with shit neighbors or allergies to loud music need not apply.

For me, the next step up from these would be the 8" fostex monitors, however they aren't as easy on the wallet as the ESI's

pretty sure i only have the 5" just from remembering how much i paid for them, but yea, for monitors they crank, so it's good to hear that you think they are good value for money as well lloyd.

i think for me, these as monitors are fine, so my next step will be into getting some PA speakers, so for parties etc. i can set up the monitors pointing to me (obviously), and the speakers towards the party.