Vinyl vs CD

Cupe

hahaha, why'd you have to go and start this timeless debate.

Simple answer use what you want...makes no difference.

I use vinyl mostly, but also use serato at times. Eventually I aim to get some cd players but at the moment vinyl does what it does for me.

I prefer vinyl, but can see benefits from cd's (such as looping, cue point) but apart from that it makes no difference.

tramonte: vinyl addict.

i've used vinyl for a few years then switched to CD's

Benifits of CD's

- Fucking light, i played a gig in cairns with vinyl. fuck me mistake.

- Easy. lets face it CDJ's are pretty easy to use

- Cheap. $2.00 for a massive tune. Vs. $18 for a vinyl

Benifits of Vinyl

- Smells awesome, for those of us who dig... mmm vinyl

- takes skill to mix with. i reckon every dj should have to learn on vinyl first.

- sound quality. it does sound pretty good not to much differance to cd qualitiy but hey there is some.

feel free to add to my lists.

there is no best out of this lot, only preference.

Sure vinyl sounds better when new and clean, but records wear, get dusty etc, digital tracks will always sound as good as when you got them. some of my older records, and ones I've got second hand sound a bit dull now, partly from wear and partly cos that's just how older tracks were produced.

Vinyl is much more involving to play on, but cd's are more accurate so you can spend more time on mixing rather than beatmatching.

weight/convenience all go in favour of cd's, price it's an even thing between DVS and cd.

DVS is a lot of fun, but also a massive pain in the ass to carry and setup and make sure all is working in a dark cramped place.

some places are putting in serato boxes now so all you need it one usb cable, but then what if you use traktor or something else?

i use both, prefer cd's for all the added easy to use functions (looping,cue point memory)

vinyl has a nice warm sound but there is alot more to go wrong with for general use (static build up, dirt, needles, unbalanced tone arms)

it is definately more of an art to use vinyl than cd (from a crowd perspective) but the same can be said about dvs

cds are better, you carnt fight technology, although i have a pile of records and i believe we should all start off mixing in vinyl, the pure fact is that you can customise cds not records, and even with the invention of dvs it doesnt make i anymore practical in a clu invironment unless your a headliner

it's funny like that, the duke of york has three dj area's upstairs(has a proper dancefloor & cdj setup), beer garden(haven't been there long enough to look around), and the front bar area which has a pokey little card table with cdj100s and some dodgy mixer and this guy is playing requests.

i think venue owners are starting to realise they can make alot of money just by having a couple of cd players rather than buying a huge setup

cds are better, you carnt fight technology, although i have a pile of records and i believe we should all start off mixing in vinyl, the pure fact is that you can customise cds not records, and even with the invention of dvs it doesnt make i anymore practical in a clu invironment unless your a headliner
I'm with this...

since I picked up my cdj's a year ago, my vinyl collection has stopped growing dramatically...

• 2 weeks later...

i forgot to save the article from fridays advertiser but it's about music and such being sold on usb sticks with artist bio's albulm art and such, and there was also going to be no restrictions on transferring albums across to media players, and you could also get automatic song updates.

it said record companies would set the price of these sticks but they shouldn't be more than the price of cd's

ha that's a fuckin mad idea

A new digital format launched in Australia called DDA could soon pave way for albums to be sold not as CDs but as USB sticks complete with tags to identify the content. The DDA USB Stick comes with the album in MP3 or WAV format to prevent any compatibility issues.

It also comes with a special DDA player and a tracklist builder and would even allow buyers to log-in to a portal where they can access music videos, news, and updates from the artist of the DDA USB Stick they bought. The music in the DDA Stick can reportedly be transferred to the computer or even burned to a CD with no copyright issues to be wary of. Cost shouldn’t be a problem either, as the price of once DDA Stick will most likely be equivalent to the price of one CD. According to source, Virgin, Sanity and HMV will be stocking these sticks soon.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html

I'll still most likely download (paying for) all my albums. Convenience.

yea someone made a comment on the news site like that

"Utterly pointless. Its cheaper to download from places like the iTunes store. The extra "features" would mostly be available from the artist's own web site. Why not just have a huge computer screen instore where you can download direct to your MP3 player?"