Denon DN-HP500 Headphone Review

DJAdumbration

Just got a new set of cans - Denon DN-HP500. These are the smaller of the 2 Denon offerings on StoreDJ at the moment, the others being the DN-HP700. The main difference, apart from price, is the maximum input power.

These are both supra-aural headphones which means they don't fully enclose the ear - they sit on the outside. My personal preference is for circum-aural headphones which fully enclose the ear. I find them generally more comfortable and better at blocking out outside noise. I decided to give these a go as my current headphones are starting to wear out. My current headphones are a sweet set of Sony's designed primarily for home theatre listening. They have wicked bass and good mid range, plus slightly larger drivers (I think...).

The Denons have a good solid feel to them, unlike so many headphones. One thing I liked with these is the 1/4" adaptor screws onto the 1/8" plug. This is great - I don't know how many times I've gone to pull the headphones out and not grabbed the adaptor properly and left it in the equipment. Not such a big deal when you're at home on your own equipment, but I'ev left them at mates places before - not fun when you want to get home and mix!

What I was surprised with is how nice these feel when wearing them. I've tried various supra-aural headphones in the past and never liked them. But these just... feel right. And my ears don't get burning hot after wearing them for an hour or so. The padding is just right and manages to do a fairly good job at blocking outside noise - another issue I've had in the past with these types of headphones.

What about sound? Well they are easily the match of the Sony headphones. Bass is good but for me, mid range is where the Denons shine. Crisp and clear - for a $140 pair of headphones I am damn impressed.

Kind of hard to get excited about a pair of headphones, but I was surprised by the build and sound from these.

Anyway, time to step off my fanboi-box and get back to what's important - mixing.

https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-DNHP500