Albums to be sold on USB stick

Cupe

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story ... 39,00.html

A new digital format launched in Australia called DDA could soon pave way for albums to be sold not as CDs but as USB sticks complete with tags to identify the content. The DDA USB Stick comes with the album in MP3 or WAV format to prevent any compatibility issues.

It also comes with a special DDA player and a tracklist builder and would even allow buyers to log-in to a portal where they can access music videos, news, and updates from the artist of the DDA USB Stick they bought. The music in the DDA Stick can reportedly be transferred to the computer or even burned to a CD with no copyright issues to be wary of. Cost shouldn’t be a problem either, as the price of once DDA Stick will most likely be equivalent to the price of one CD. According to source, Virgin, Sanity and HMV will be stocking these sticks soon.

well let's look at the pros and cons for the general consumer not commercial.

pro

-flash stick are easy and cheap to make

-you can't scratch them

-they're smaller than a cd

-you could store a whole discography on 1

-i can't think of anymore

cons

-they're smaller than a cd:easier to lose

-flash technology is limited:if you were putting more information on them again and again from updates eventually you would need to format and start again ~1000 times and after ~1000 formats they're useless

-downloading individual tracks may be cheaper

i think this is a great idea and it is trying to encourage people to stop pirating music, if they take this in the direction that it needs to go in,

you pay the price of a cd/dvd and get all the artist content of this on a usb stick, more and more dvd players are coming out with usb slots and even stereo's and home theatre systems

i haven't had a stereo in my car for so long i'd almost forgotten they existed fucking thieves...

but the usb sticks are going to make a decent entry into the consumer market, and although we are consumers; alot of the time it is easier for us to download music rather than buy an album. But i'm sure you'd rather pay 30-50 for all songs made by an artist

caleupe has a great point, honestly who buys cd albums these days???? LIttle girls and boys, and adults with no idea of what they can get on the net. It wold only be a matter of time that you could buy a barbie doll that comes with her entire movie backlog on a usb shaped like a princess necklace