4 Monitors vs 2 Monitors

Jaz

Im asking the sound/production/monitor/speaker experts here

As pictured below ive got my two monitors up on shelfs but tilted towards the laptop (where ill be sitting) and im thinking of getting 2 more monitors and mounting them to the left out of picture but the same as the 2 monitors pictured...

My question is...will this help or hinder the whole Honest sound for producing thing? will this be good or bad basically?

i meen i will still have left and right stereo sound there will just be 2 speakers for left and 2 speakers for right...

Speakerplacement.jpg

That would be completely wack. Firstly they would have to be exactly the same speakers and have around the same amount of use. Secondly, you're gonna have two identical signals coming at your left ear, and unless you possition them perfectly, I'd imagine that would create a whole bunch of phasing issues.

Its a pretty un-ideal setup anywhos man, read/look at this.

placement.gif

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar02/a ... nitors.asp

cheers chev, your actually the man i wanted to hear from on the issue

i thought this would be the issue though :(

but i dunno what else to do at the moment though because when i do get my ass into gear and start producing i will be facing the laptop where it is sitting and both the speakers will be to the right...and thats even worse...

what you recon i do?

Ideally I'd put your lappy where your decks are, cause the way you have the monitors set up for them is kind of alright, and it doesn't really matter where you place your monitors for djing cause you just need noise haha. I could see that being a bit of a problem though cause there isn't much wiggleroom by the looks of it. Is there much more space out of the pic?

yeh i did consider that but then the CD player stand will become uselss because it hangs over to much for the table the laptop is currently on...(other table is muuuuch deaper)

and also you cant really tell by the pic but the monitors will be to high for me sitting down if i were to use the deck table for producing (woofers will be pumping the sound over my head, tweeters will be way over my head)

what if i got say some KRK monitors, and put 1 on the left where it says x2 with 1 of the behringers, and also 1 KRK and 1 behringer on the right on the shelf...

that way both left and right will have 1 of the same speakers with the same amount of wear...

+repping already champ ;)

The only times you really wanna run more than 1 set of speakers is if you are mixing and mastering, and want to check how your mix is responding on different reference speakers.

Without buying anything else, you should just move one of the monitors to the left of where your laptop is, so when you are at your laptop, there is one monitor either side of you at equal distance from you.

hmmm ill consider that, will only be 1 monitor on the shelf for mixing though (i know that will piss me off :P)......any other idea's?

i meen i guess i could just get a second set to sit on the laptop table n just use them exclusivyl for producing and the 1's on the shelf only for mixing...

Why not just get another set of studio monitors? Much better than 12" or 15" on your desk. Trust, they will be a freakin handfull to balance up there they're gonna look shit as - just coz they are way too big.

Unless you do mobile, and are planning to use them for that. In which case - this way saves you $$ by using the same set of speakers.

nah im not doing mobile anymore, yeh that was the original plan but they are both as expensive as each other used... although my monitors can get pretty loud, i sometimes find i want to blast some tunes and they dont go loud enough

o well, ill just see what comes up...no rush, am just waiting for a sweet bargain to apear