Stylus / Cartridge upgrade

callmeyo

Hey Homies.

Major rookie question here.

I have two Ortofon's on my 1200s, that look like this guy

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/media/cat ... ncorde.jpg

Now my needles must be fucked or something cause its crackling and sounds like shit! I have new serato vinyls so its not them.

My question is how do i replace them?

Do i buy one of these guys? do they need to be a special size or anything?

http://www.djwarehouse.com.au/djgear/ca ... tylus.html

So confused, hope you guys can help me out!

oh i just thought of something. if both are crackling (which you have to admit is wierd unless of course you have used both equally), could it be a latency issue with your serato?

so as above, if its just one try swapping the stylus amongst the cartridges to figure out whether it is the stylus or the cartridge.

if it is both, try a normal vinyl to see if it still crackles the same. NOTE normal vinyl will have normal staticy popping

oh i just thought of something. if both are crackling (which you have to admit is wierd unless of course you have used both equally), could it be a latency issue with your serato?

so as above, if its just one try swapping the stylus amongst the cartridges to figure out whether it is the stylus or the cartridge.

if it is both, try a normal vinyl to see if it still crackles the same. NOTE normal vinyl will have normal staticy popping

Yes! very likely! i think its just one. but i'll do the test tonight.

Thanks boys y'all the best!

If it crackles n shit when playing through serato, its more than likely a soundcard/software issue or bad cable, rather than stylus or signal from the vinyl. usually a bad needle only gives u tracking problems. not sure with serato but traktor has a calibration thingy where it makes a circle if u got good signal, and goes all wonky if its bad