midi controller case or bag?

imadje

I am wondering if the following assumptions I have on midi controllers are true:

1) That midi controllers have no moving parts or delicate mechanisms (such as cd spindles and lasers, turntable tonearm assembly)?

I get the feeling that they are mostly PCB with a small audio out section.

2) and that therefore physical knocks and scrapes may damage rotary pots, faders or buttons but can't physically damage much of the internal working of the unit.

Can any of you confirm or disproove these assumptions please?

...and with this in mind how important does everyone think it is to have a proper hard case for transporting a controller? As oppose to a well padded bag?

Ok foolish, the MIDI controllers don't have moving parts, but like any computer you must still keep them away from things like magnets, and don't knock it around too much as this could make the unit not work anymore, so they are tougher but still take some care, things like the platters need to be protected, for this reason I would go a case ftw!

1) correct

2) physical knocks (in extreme cases) cause solder joints to crack/break. usually this would only be the case where the joint wasn't properly formed in the first place due to sub standard quality control. The result would be a button/knob/encoder that doesn't work.

to damage the component itself, you'd be looking at a decent hit in a very specific spot.

I'd just use a bag that provides decent protection.

..... but you can never be too careful :)

OK.

cheers lloyd, yeah i know about dry solder but am handy enuff with the iron, good info man.

Capfive: even tho lloyd is right I'm swinging round to a better safe than sorry attitude. Reckon hard case FTW. not that much more cost but you dont have to think twice about where you put it or if you sit on it.

^that shoulder bag is an ideal solution, waterproof, lightweight, foam inner...

They wont make one of those for the NS6 i dont think cos it's much heavier having the steel body. i'll keep my eyes out though.

if i had an S4 that would be a no brainer lloyd, best of all worlds.

P.s. Capfive and me are ninjas man.

i had to edit this post coz yours nipped in there. full on rofl.

anyway:

i'm thinking of going to measure up some small keyboard cases.

I've had custom builds done b4 but know an off the shelf product is way cheaper.

If i get one thats too big I will add foam but also have space for headphones, laptop stand, xlrs, and tings.

i'll post any dimensions I find...

cheers capfive,

i know gator are generally overpriced for what you get, they are industry standard and play on their rep a bit IMO.

that body glove thing looks amazing tho. I was suprised to find they were uk too... i've mailed them to get some internal dimensions.

http://www.bodygloveuk.com/seriesone.php

"no questions asked - lifetime guarantee"

get in.