what can i use novation launchpad with?

lewiis

The Ableton Live Controller

Jointly designed by Ableton and Novation, Launchpad places Ableton Live at your fingertips. Whether you’re a DJ, performing musician or studio producer, Launchpad gives you all you need to truly ‘play' Live.

Launchpad is ultra-portable. It is USB bus powered (no need for power sockets), and weights in at just 717gms (one third the weight of a macbook!).

With a multi-colour 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons, Launchpad is purpose built for triggering and manipulating clips in Live, it also offers a totally new way of controlling Ableton Live’s mixer. Launchpad's buttons can be used to sketch out beats with drum racks, and they can be assigned to other functions in Live using Ableton's 'Learn' mode.

Launchpad ships with a dedicated ‘Launchpad edition’ of Ableton Live 8, but can control almost any other music software using Novation's award-winning 'Automap' control software.

Now from what i just read on the site it is a midi controller that is specifically mapped for ableton, it allows you to run clips AND manipulate them at the same time, give the allusion of a pre recordered feel but giving the creativity of an "on the fly" change if you feel you want to change the makeup of your song :) perfect for Production

are you a producer?

The Ableton Live Controller

Jointly designed by Ableton and Novation, Launchpad places Ableton Live at your fingertips. Whether you’re a DJ, performing musician or studio producer, Launchpad gives you all you need to truly ‘play' Live.

Launchpad is ultra-portable. It is USB bus powered (no need for power sockets), and weights in at just 717gms (one third the weight of a macbook!).

With a multi-colour 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons, Launchpad is purpose built for triggering and manipulating clips in Live, it also offers a totally new way of controlling Ableton Live’s mixer. Launchpad's buttons can be used to sketch out beats with drum racks, and they can be assigned to other functions in Live using Ableton's 'Learn' mode.

Launchpad ships with a dedicated ‘Launchpad edition’ of Ableton Live 8, but can control almost any other music software using Novation's award-winning 'Automap' control software.

Now from what i just read on the site it is a midi controller that is specifically mapped for ableton, it allows you to run clips AND manipulate them at the same time, give the allusion of a pre recordered feel but giving the creativity of an "on the fly" change if you feel you want to change the makeup of your song :) perfect for Production

are you a producer?

i am a 16 year old and am just wanting to experiment with music, try and teach myself the basics before doing an electron music production course when i finish school next year :)

the novation launchpad is basically just a clip launcher for production software like Ableton, you dont "need" to use anything else with it, just the software obviously

make all your clips and then launch them by pressing the appropriate pad

• 6 months later...
the novation launchpad is basically just a clip launcher for production software like Ableton, you dont "need" to use anything else with it, just the software obviously

make all your clips and then launch them by pressing the appropriate pad

I use my launchpad to control clips in abelton and to 'play' my tetra as its only a desktop synth.

One thing I highly recommend you get is the launchpad step sequencer

http://uk.novationmusic.com/community/n ... sequencer/

opens up a whole new dimension to the launchpad and allow you to create nice arrpegios and what not.

you can also use the user 2 function and MIDI map it to control whatever you want in live such as filters, delays etc...

you can also use it as a midi controller for other programs. Can even use it with Traktor, however, I tried and failed to set that up. haven't tried again since.