Features Lost on CDJs when using timecode

Mitch

Hey guys,

Im looking at a serato system, and been trying to read up about different features that are lost/gained when using timecode as opposed to using the cdjs normally. Things im talking of are:

-Waveform display and other features on the screen of the CDJs. How do these work when the CD in the player doesn't change?

-Looping

-Cueing (read it works in absolute and not relative mode??)

Can someone shed some light on what the exact feature losses/gains on the cdjs are when using serato?

Another thought I had, Would it be better to spend an extra few dollars and buy dicers to go with the cdjs and control all my looping and hot cues with them?

I probably wouldn't get dicers, they are mainly used used with TT's.

X1 Kontrol made by Native Instruments can be used as a midi controller for Serato. This one unit will give you control over loops, selecting/searching tracks so you don't have to touch your laptop, effects, hot cues etc.

i've got the denon DNHC1000S (https://www.storedj.com.au/products/DEN-DNHC1000S) to use with serato and love it! as for the cdjs with serato when in absolute ur loop in/out buttons work, hot cue, play/pause, cue etc just like using a cd but u dont get the waveform display off the track or the bpm read out.if you use the cdj in relative mode your cue button will not bring the song back to the start it will just work like your pressing play then pause, thus meaning you would either scratch your song in like vinyl or just hit play at the correct time.the hot cue and loop functions also are lost in this mode.

also check out this link for the basic run down :)

http://serato.com/forum/discussion/242276

hey man i been using serato for around 3 years now

firstly the dicers changed the game i use them on my TT's but also on my cdjs as they are just as effective and really add to your performance

i think the key problem with using serato on cdjs are the loss of the loop buttons and waveform display, however these are more then made up for with both the dicer and wave display on the serato software as well as the available 5 cue points

to answer your questions more directly

you CAN use serato and at the same time have your cdjs still operate as normal by using a midi cable from the back of the unit into your laptop. it is a pain in the arse to set up in the club and with the addition of dicers to your set up will pretty much erase the need to do this

the wave form display does diapear however you still have the track length timer to let you know where your cd is at

looping can be done either via keyboard mouse or controler ie dicer

cueing only works internal and relative as absolute mode which is the only mode you would want to use with cdjs

if anything serato turns your cdj into more of a TT but compensates with the featues that the srato software provides i could go on for days

-Waveform display and other features on the screen of the CDJs. How do these work when the CD in the player doesn't change?

for older cdj's at least you lose the wave display but then any display on the pc is 100 times better than the dot matrix on a cdj. more detailed, zoomable, everythign about it is better

-Looping

in absolute mode you can loop just the same, on relative mode no you cannot. Also cannot save loops against a track since to the CDJ you are playing the same track every time.

-Cueing (read it works in absolute and not relative mode??)

as in save a cue point? then yes, works in absolute mode only. using the cue points on the software is better anyway.

a simple controller plus cdj and everything's at your fingertips

imo traktor is better for cdj's.

Serato for TT's.

What makes Serato better for turntables?

it not...if anything traktor is better for vinyl because of traktors 3ghz time code ...better at slow scratching...BUT.. I cant tell the the diff..

after testing for me..

mixvibes DVS has better latency with my edirol firewire sound card

traktor scratch pro has better slow scratch

serato has less sticker-drift.....