Dear Serato users

lloydc

I am considering giving serato a go and what your thoughts on the hardware side of things.

I'd be looking to use two decks and the bridge in serato.

my question is, will the SL2 do the job? or should I get an SL3 or 4?

I'm a complete serato noob, and have only ever been familiar with traktor.

any advice is appreciated

the sl2 is all you need...for the bridge

in scratch live when you start, you have one deck for Serato ( deck "A") & one for Ableton ( deck " B " ) controlled by time code vinyl

now in the mix when you have the two in time , you click the sync button ( "A or B or INT")...Ableton will jump over to the Serato deck ( deck "A" )

now you can load a new track into Deck "B" ....mix it in.. then click the sync button again & Ableton will jump back over to deck "B"...

& on & on & on

Serato is a piece of piss to set up and use.

You will be mixing the fuck out of it in under 10 mins

Setting-up Serato for the Bridge is easy ...but using the bridge is not

you need to know your Ableton shit to get the best out off the two software

More work to like...setting up serato beat grids right..making audio loops & samples that you can use as clips in Ableton

If I had the sl3 & two turntables running the Bridge ...I would set it up like this ..use a "Y" rca cable & split the serato time code vinyl signal from one off the turntables into two stereo channels inputs on the sl3 box

doing this will give you vinyl control over the two serato decks & also vinyl control over the third ableton deck if needed

hey lloyd, what is the bpm gauge on serato?

is it like a bpm counter? where there is one for each deck and it shows you the current tracks BPM?

On itch, traktor, VDJ, CDJs and everything else I've ever seen the BPM readout changes with respect to tempo changes from the pitch fader when a song is playing. Pretty sure serato would work the same but am always willing to learn.

hey lloyd, what is the bpm gauge on serato?

is it like a bpm counter? where there is one for each deck and it shows you the current tracks BPM?

On itch, traktor, VDJ, CDJs and everything else I've ever seen the BPM readout changes with respect to tempo changes from the pitch fader when a song is playing. Pretty sure serato would work the same but am always willing to learn.

sorry, 'counter' was the term i should have used LOL

I presumed serato was the same, but thought i'd ask.

the X1 & the midi on your Denon 1600 is all good for serato you will just have to map it

ok.... just checked this ...when your using just serato the BPM counter dont change when you move the pitch fader on your turntables

under the Ableton Serato bridge ( with the beat grids on ) the BPM counter do change with the move off the pitch fader

Seratos pitch control is a little more finiky then traktor, Serato's crate mangment is WAY WAY WAY easier to look through and organise then traktors system, which I found to be counter intiuative no sub crates, and having to use explorer to get to your shit, makes the diff between a long mix and a short hollow thing.