playlists on external HD using CDJ 900?

imadje

So i start a new residency where they have 2 CDJ900s. I was planning on taking my MAC with traktor so i could access all my current playlists etc. I have put a lot of work into arranging tunes into lists and I also like the ability to search for a song using the keyboard.

But lots of peeps say it will be easier to use an external HD linked to both players to access all songs without the need for a laptop at all.

But how do you search? and how do you prepare playlists?

If i have to copy each playlist from MAC to a seperate folder (to act as a playlist) on HD I'll end up with thousands of replications...

Who uses this tech, any knowledge?

recordbox is your friend here.

warning before i start - have never used them, but have researched it.

What happens is you import the songs to recordbox, then it analyses them for id3 tags and does the bpm. then you can make playlists, categorise your songs, set cue points and a bunch of other things in the recordbox program, and export it directly to a usb or external hd from in the program.

Then there is two ways to go. The two CDJ 900's can be linked together with an ethernet cable, so you only have one external hd, but both players can read it (eg external hd is in deck a, but deck a and b can access it).. Or you can export the songs to two external hd's and plug one in each deck. It puts the songs in one folder, and creates an extra folder with extra info on the song for the cdj's. Once the usbs are plugged in youll see why, because they have been analysed in recordbox, you can browse by song, artist, album, bpm, playlist etc.

There is also a method for using your laptop without traktor, and doesn't involve touching any rca cables and stuff. You can connect the two cdj's to a network hub with ethernet cable, then plug your laptop into it. It creates a mini network, and you can load any song from in the recordbox program onto the cdj. Even though it still uses a laptop, it is easier to setup than traktor.

Either way you will need to check out the recordbox software - http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/content/press ... xfree.html

Hope this mess of writing helps

mitch is bang on the money, and its why rekordbox is such a good program.

either create your playlists in rekordbox then transfer those playlists to your hdd and plug the hdd into one deck and use link mode

or bring 3 ethernet cables and a little 4 port switch, plug the 2 decks and laptop into the switch via ethernet cables then fire up rekordbox and click the link button. No mappings, no setup, no fuss