Power boards

LiLMuNZtA

Ok so i dont know much about this side of stuff so keep your answer really dumbed down. At my last gig my lights kept flicking off my powerboards and someone told me that if i get a good quality powerboard thing that i'd be able to run everything off it? If its true where do i get them from?

• 1 year later...

each powerboard should be rated at 240v @ 10amps with max load of 2400w, if your lights started to dim it could have been a few things wrong 1) faulty powerboard 2) power circuit may have had bad wiring or old 3) pulling too much power off the grid and the fuse was almost hitting it's peak.

What I like to do where I can is run off 3 different power points in the venue, the first thing I do is ask where the fuse box is, try and work out if there are two different power circuit's in that room and if so put the one with the max load on one (in my case the speakers and sub) and my deck and lights off the other one.

I was told that on most rooms etc that a second circuit can only be found on the opposite wall or other side of the room. So if you have issues to use a plug from the other side of the room to get a fresh circuit. Seems to make sense but I'm no electrician. Can anyone confirm this?

Edit

I have a friend who installs it wiring alarms and hifi type installs. I am sure he would know. Will update soon...

thanks Fluffy, glad it doesn't sound like a myth.

I just sent him this anyway...

Frank you are the only person I can think of that may know this answer. I have been told that if djing and I have powerpoint overloading type issues that the best thing to do is find a powerpoint at the other side of the room as this may be on a different circuit and would lower the load. Do you know if this is true or not? In other words do most halls, function centres etc have one wall with one circuit and the other opposite with another new different circuit?

just got this back so sounds like worth a try but not always a gtee.

"Pete

The answer is depending on the size of the site power points may be all on one circuit or they can also be on separate ones. If you are overloading try a PowerPoint on the on the side of the room. It means the the fuse at the board isn't big enough to cope."

More from another mate who seems pretty switched on. No pun intended. Lol

"Yeah there is a good chance the circuit will be a different one on other side.

If the building is reasonably new, the power points may possibly have the circuit number actually noted on them. So you can see at a glance if 2 outlets are on the same circuit.

And

When constructing a commercial building, the cable runs are usually in-line. Meaning, if the main board is at one end of the building, the sparky will run circuits 1 & 2 down one side of the building & circuits 3 & 4 down the other side. This is both time saving & also cost saving, as they are not wasting cable going from one side to the other to connect outlets to a single circuit.

When power cable is around $1 per foot, they want to use as little as possible."

It really will be a case by case basis when it comes to circuits being split in rooms/buildings ^

Being an electrician i should know haha but you'll tend to find in commercial buildings they are required to have labels on the powerpoints, so as stated above you would try and split up your equipment eg amps/speakers on one and lighting on the other but don't be surprised of a room only has one circuit :P

I think the other thing starting to work in everyone's favour is LED lighting the draw on these types of lights is a lot less then the old fashion element lights.

the other things you need to take into consideration is keeping ext leads as short as possible, don't go using a whole heap of 20~30m leads when you really only need 10m because you are in fact inducing more load into the circuit and higher risk of tripping the breaker or even worse causing an electrical fault/fire

Also i don't know why i contributed to a old as thread :fuckdat: