Mix tapes??

JonnyB

hey guys, i have 2 cdj400's and a DXM 06 numark mixer.

ive had them since the start of the year but have only been getting into it for the last 2 months.

now im trying to record a mix tape, around 30min long. and i cant seem to nail it, i always fuck up somewhere.....

i also have ableton live. and ive also done the mix in that.

just want to know your thoughts on if you guys think making mixtapes in ableton is kind of cheating or not, because they are 2 diffrent skills

I dont think there is a DJ out there that doesnt or hasnt used a method of 'cheating' to knock out a mix. Just let it be a lesson that you can always get better and mixing of decks is a skill that no one has ever or will ever perfect. Mistakes mean you are human, therefore the mix is genuine skill.

use both...

hardware + software = good mix tape's

this is how I do it...

I do a 30 min long set ( say 10 to 15 tracks )

on my turntables & mixer with time-code vinly

I record the same set 4 or 5 times ( it good mixing practise )

then put all the recording into Ableton

cut & paste & edit the shit out I don't like ....add some shit in

like samplers , synth's ,efx's , drops or beats

equalise the sound over the hole mix ....Master it

good mix tapes take time....so take your time doing one

Dont try and record the perfect mix. It just wont happen. I like hearing the odd mistake in a mix because I then know it hasnt been 'digitally edited' and I make mistakes as well. My rule of thumb is that a couple of mistakes in an hour long mix is acceptable...and human. Next time you hear your favourite Dj live, you'll understand what I mean. Just keep at it and if you make a mistake, DO IT AGAIN!, most (non Dj) folks will probably think its deliberate and applaude your creativity!!